PC no longer connecting to internet

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ziacd, Jul 20, 2008.

1. ziacd

ziacd Private E-2

Hi, I am having problems with my Acer Aspire 5000 Laptop and connecting to the internet. My husband has the same computer and is able to use the internet without issues right now (which is how I am posting this, thankfully). A few days ago, my computer stopped connecting. It cannot be connected wirelessly or using the ethernet connection. I tried disabling our network key on our router (Netgear) but that did not help. I uninstalled both network adapters, restarted the computer, and tried the dns flush, which Windows would not run. I was also unsuccessful trying to ping the router. I spoke with McAfee, and they were unable to help. My ISP said there is no issue with our connection. Could my network adapters be all done due to a virus? Apparently I had a couple of questionable cookies that McAfee got rid of a few days ago, maybe that did it?

Thanks for your help, we're trying to do as much as we can to fix it before paying someone to take care of it.

Kristin

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

What Windows version are you running, if its Vista then you would need to run the command line ( cmd ) from an elevated position as admin, so type cmd into the start search box and then right click it and choose Run as Administrator, then try the flush dns

Also disable your McAfee Firewall to test connection as it maybe the cause. Cookies are not much of an issue, even though some software make issues of them.

3. ziacd

ziacd Private E-2

Thank you for your reply. I am running XP. I no longer have the firewall running because I removed the McAfee program from my computer per instructions from McAfee. I could not fully take McAfee off because I cannot download the Removal Tool from them.

Thanks!

4. DavidGP

Hi

If you didnt manage to get the McAfee removal tool from them, we have it listed here http://www.majorgeeks.com/McAfee_Consumer_Product_Removal_Tool_d5420.html sp download on your husbands pc and transfer and run on yours.

When trying to flush the DNS resolver cache what error message did you get? was the command you ran like this from the prompt ipconfig /flushdns ( do note space between g adn / )

5. ziacd

ziacd Private E-2

Thanks...I don't know why I didn't think of downloading to the other computer and transeferring the program, so thanks for that. The message I get when I try to run the flush:

Windows IP Configuration
    An internal error occured: The request is not supported.
    Please contact Microsoft Product Support for further help.
    Additional information: Unable to query host name.

6. DavidGP

Hi

Do let us know if the macafee removal tool allows you internet access as if it doesnt then malware is likely the cause and we do have steps to follwo for getting rid of that pest, so I will link you to the guides if the removal tool or below doesnt work.

But also try this from a command prompt netsh winsock reset

7. ziacd

ziacd Private E-2

I ran that, but still no internet. I found the MalWare removal links and ran all the programs, only having trouble with the SpyBot because I couldn't get the updates to my computer. The internet is still not working, though my computer does pick up our wireless signal. I tried attaching 2 logs...the other programs didn't detect any problems. I will attach other logs it I still need to. Thanks again for all your help.

Attached Files:

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds