Monitor not turning on

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by smackd1008, Jul 20, 2008.

1. smackd1008

smackd1008 Private E-2

Monitor is showing me a flashing green light only. It doesnt even go into standby mode. I've tried the monitor on another pc and it works fine and the video card is brand new. I have all the connections in. People told me it has something to do with your motherboard being too tight or too loose. I don't know. Let me know what you guys think. Thank you.

2. akhilles

akhilles First Sergeant

If it's a home-built pc, post the specs. If it's an OEM pc from Dell, etc., post the model. What's the monitor?

3. Appzalien

Appzalien Staff Sergeant

The brand new video card means you put it in by yourself correct? Thats where I would start. If the card is not in exactly right or you missed putting on a extra power connector that newer cards often require it could cause problems.

Turn the pc off, remove and reseat the card making sure its lined up correctly and locks in place. Make sure if there is a power connection on the card you put the correct power to it (if its a four pin molex type don't use the fan only connections from the power supply, the ones with just two wires, black and yellow).

4. smackd1008

smackd1008 Private E-2

Alright so I RMA's my motherboard in and I think it is the Video card. Here are the specs:

Asus p5n32-sli premium mother board
    PSU ROSEWILL|RX750-S-B 750W RT
    Nvidia GeForce 8600 GT
    Intel Core 2 Duo
    420GB hardDrive
    2gb ddr2 RAM
    Its is a flat screen 17" samsung lcd

This happened a couple of times before and my friend told me to reset the BIOS and it usually worked everytime. But when i recently switched my tower with another, even that wouldn't start up the monitor. All the fans work, all the lights are on. I am about to buy a vga card from circuit city just to check to see if it is in fact my video card which is causing all the problems. Then ill just call evga so they could send me a new one.

5. smackd1008

smackd1008 Private E-2

the motherboard was screwed on too tight. I got it to work now. Thanks for all the advice

6. Appzalien

Appzalien Staff Sergeant

Thats not right! I have never in my life heard of a motherboard being screwed on too tight. Yes you can over tighten screws and crack the board but snug is snug and who would really put enough pressure on a screw to make the board malfunction. It just doesn't make sense. Its more likely you put a stand off and screw where one didn't necessarily belong, and grounded the board where it wasn't meant to have a ground.

I'm glad you fixed it, but this is quite absurd to me.

7. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

I've seen posts by people that never installed any stand-offs having problems. I guess we'll never know.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds