Watching PC Videos on HDTV

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ejames, Jul 20, 2008.

1. ejames

ejames Private E-2

I want to watch videos that I have downloaded from the Internet on my TV which is a Magnavox 42MF230A-37 42" HD-TV. How do I go about doing this?

The following is the layout of the back of my Toshiba Qosmio G35-AV600 PC which is running Vista SP1:

Coaxial Antenna In Port
    RGB (Monitor) Out Port
    Component Out Port
    S-Video Out Port

Do I just need an S-video cable and plug one end into my PC and the other end into the back of my TV and will that work for the sound also, or do I need another cable just for the sound?

What is a firewire cable that I keep hearing a lot about?

I know quite a bit about about PC's but all the different connections for A/V realy confuse me.

Any help that you can give in this regard wouldl be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Elizabeth

2. akhilles

akhilles First Sergeant

Your TV & laptop specs:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4104441#Specifications
    http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/toshiba-qosmio-g35-av600/4507-3121_7-31749236.html

The best option would be component output from laptop to TV. Both devices support it. However, you'll need a dongle/adapter to plug into the laptop. I don't know which port, but you can look into it in your user's guide/manual of the laptop. Most likely the 1st/early section that shows the layouts of the computer:

http://www.thg.ru/mobile/windows_mce_notebook/images/mce_roundup_toshiba_qosmio_g35_av600_rear.jpg

And a component cable that's made of 5 color-coded cables available at walmart and a/v stores. Don't go to Best Buy or the like cuz they LOVE to talk you into getting a $100+ gold-plated cable which does more or less the same thing as a $20 one.

3. ejames

ejames Private E-2

Thank you for all the info, however, there are so many dongle adapters out there and there are also so many component cables that I am not sure what to get.

Would you please send me a link to a page showing exactly what I need? That way I can get a feel for exactly what to buy.

I have also included the layout of the back of my computer in the attached *.jpg file.

Thank you for all of your expertise!

Elizabeth:)

Attached Files:

4. akhilles

akhilles First Sergeant

The PDF user's guide doesn't show the contents of the laptop, so I can't pinpoint it to you, unless you take a photo of all the included cables. A typical component cable looks like:

[​IMG]

The product details say the cable is included.

Find that cable. Match the colors of the connectors to the plugs in the back of the TV. Page 69 in user's guide explains how to hook up sound to TV. You need a cable like this for stereo sound output:

[​IMG]

Page 72 explains how to cycle through displays from laptop, tv to both. If the included cables aren't long enough to reach the TV, you can pick up 5 extension cables for the component & audio cables.

[​IMG]

The 5 cables must go to the component input of your TV.

[​IMG]

You can find these cables for cheap at an audio/video store, walmart, or shopping mall.

5. ejames

ejames Private E-2

Yes that is exactly what I needed! I'll see if I can find the cables and if not, at least I know what I need to buy now.

Thank you, so much, for all of your help and I'll let you know what I come up with.

Many thanks!

Elizabeth

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds