New install running very slow

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lambertinut, Jul 21, 2008.

1. lambertinut

lambertinut Private E-2

I just bought a Dell Optiplex GX150 from a company that recycles used computers. I tried to install Suse Linux, but the first disc alone took 38 hours to install, and the second about 8 or so hours. After it was all installed it had taken a nonstop 3 days to install, and still didn't run. I then tried installing Ubuntu, no luck there, probably just an install disc issue. Finally I found an old copy of Windows 98 SE, and installed it. It didn't take as long to install, and I installed the minimum because I am just using it as a way to surf the net on my TV.

I've installed all the necessary drivers, and installed Firefox 2.0.0.1 (I think. I know it is 2.something) Using IE that came with the install runs slow (about 3-5 minutes to load browser with up to another 5 or so to load the page), so I installed Firefox thinking it might go faster. It took 10 minutes to load the firefox window, and another 5 minutes to load the welcome page, and mozzilla main page that it defaults to in the two tabs after installing it. I thought maybe it could be bad memory, it has 2 factory installed 256 SDRAMM memory sticks in it, and I have already reseated them with no luck. I can't think of anything else that could be wrong with it. Memory shows about 18 GB left, so only about 2 GB used.

Dell Optiplex GX150
    Processor: Intel PIII 1 GHz
    RAM: 2x256 SDRAMM
    HD: 20GB

The specs on pricegrabber are accurate except for the installed memeory.

Any suggestions on figuring out what is wrong, or things to test would be great. I have a friend who has offered to give me a copy of XP Home if I need iit. I am also trying to get ahold of either 2x256 SDRAMM or 1x512 SDRAMM that I know works to test out and see if it is the memory.

2. rogvalcox

rogvalcox MajorGeek

I would start by running Memtest 86 to check your memory...

http://majorgeeks.com/MemTest_d350.html

Unzip the download and follow the manual that you will find with it. Ideally you want to get a good atleast 4-5 passes without any errors, and that will indicate your memory is fine.

Also...what speed is the sdram...66, 100, or 133...the lower the number, the slower the memory. Plus...I'm gonna assume your hard drive is probably only a 5400rpm...is it that or a 7200rpm drive? There is actually a noticeable difference in the two, which can also be an issue of program loading slowly. You might check and make sure your motherboard drivers are as recent as possible, that can also make a difference.

That is where I would start, and let us know what happens.

I too have a machine of similar specs with XP Home on it, and it runs pretty slick for web browsing and emailing and just your average everyday computing needs.

3. akhilles

akhilles First Sergeant

Seconded.

Before that, clear cmos, unplug power cord, take battery out of mobo & short any nearby pins for 1 hour, put battery in, go to bios, load defaults. Do memtest.

Even though it's an ancient 20 gigs hard disk, it shouldn't take days to install linux. Have you tried damn small linux? 40mb I think. I suspect the harddisk config is incorrect in bios. Clearing bios may fix it, but better check it out. Disable RAID & ACHI.

4. lambertinut

lambertinut Private E-2

I tried the memory test (got to about 6%), and then a friend said he had a stick of 512, and so I put that in, and there was little difference. I think IE might have loaded 30 seconds quicker, but nothing noticeable. I am currently installing XP, so once that is done, I will test it out again, and check the BIOS settings to see if there is anything that looks unusual.

HDD is 5400 rpm. (Model WD200)

5. rogvalcox

rogvalcox MajorGeek

What do you mean...the Memtest got to 6%? You left the sentence hanging there. Did Memtest freeze...did it produce memory errors? Those are signs of bad memory, unfortunately.

The HDD being a 5200rpm will make a noticeable difference too. But like akhilles said...it shouldn't be that bad. Once you get Windows reinstalled and all you motherboard/peripheral drivers up to date, then let us know how it is.

Good luck. :)

6. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

lambertinut, I too have an older refurbed Dell Optiplex (700MHz). I suggest that rather than jumping right to a linux install, you fire up some live CDs and see what the computer's hardware likes.
    Go here http://www.frozentech.com/content/livecd.php
    and you might try PCLinux, MEPIS, Ubuntu for full desktop usability. For tiny distros DSmallLinux and Puppy are good.

7. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

Agree what did happen with memtest please. Also you got this system second-hand, have you defragged the HDD? One of the first things I always do after the installation of an OS and software, it can make a difference.

Importantly you only have a 20Gb HDD so a tiny distro will be the go as many OS's can take up from 4GB-8GB of HDD space.

8. lambertinut

lambertinut Private E-2

As far as the memtest goes, I stopped it at 6% with no errors. I then went on to install XP. I noticed while XP was installing the HDD was making scratching noises, so I purchased another HDD. Once XP is finished installing, I will defrag the HDD.

9. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

Normally when running memtest86 you should let it run for at least one complete pass, it is best to leave it running overnight (thus 5-6 complete passes) to ensure that your RAM is not causing any problems.

10. lambertinut

lambertinut Private E-2

Thanks for your help. I checked the BIOS, and the CPU was set to compatible, so I changed t to normal, and everything is running as smooth as it should. Kind of wish I had checked sooner, then it wouldn't have taken 2-3 days to install XP.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds