A lil help please

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by galandrius, Jul 22, 2008.

1. galandrius

galandrius Private E-2

Hey guys im a complete novice with computers, unfortunately when i turned on my pc the other day i got an error that stated that a severe harddrive failure was imminent and that i needed to replace it. i went and got a 500g wd hdd, i was a bit nervous because i have NEVER done anything like this and i was fairly relieved because i was able to install it and was back to using the pc again, problem is that i only see that i have 137gb, what happened to the 500gb hdd i paid for? and i continue to receive all these registry errors....can any1 assist me with this? maybe i installed this incorrectly :confused

2. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Install at the minimum SP1 as original XP does not recognize large volumes, better and faster if you grab SP3 and update your rig to the most current SP pack. Jeez, SP1 has been out for 6 years already, you really should update. You will then 'see' your full 500GB.:) What are some of your registry errors?

Last edited: Jul 22, 2008
  3. galandrius

galandrius Private E-2

1) do you have a link for sp1 or 2 that i can download?

2) here aret he messages that i get:
    "cristical error message!- Registry damaged and corrupted. to fix this problem: open internet explorer and type: www.registrycleanerxp.com once you load the web page, close this message window. After you install the cleaner program you wil not receive any more reminders or pop-ups like this, visit www.registrycleanerxp.com IMMEDIATELY!"

i get another ad that states about the same thing but then asks me to go to nowfixpc.com

sounds like an ad to me

4. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Ya, you got malware. Head on over to the malware forum and do the Read and Run me first sticky before you post, there's a good chance that doing that alone will fix your malware issue without needing any help in the first place. If not then follow their instructions on posting logs. I'll find the full SP2 link for ya, just don't install it before you get cleaned up. 266MB IIRC

EDIT: Why not go straight to SP3? Anyways, here's SP2

Last edited: Jul 22, 2008
  5. galandrius

galandrius Private E-2

hmm well i found a link to download sp2 and my pc looks to be almost back to normal, i also found out why i only had a lil bit of hdd space and got that fixed as well, i now i have another little issue: i have absolutely no sound and when i go to check the sound settings i get no audio device, any adivce?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds