No video and CPU Fan Stops

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Rocket Man, Jul 24, 2008.

1. Rocket Man

Rocket Man Private E-2

Hey, I just built a new computer and i did some testing as i was constructing and all was going well. When i went to connect to my monitor, speakers, etc. I got no video boot up. When i took it out to see the problem i noticed that the CPU Fan and one of my 120mm fans had stopped spinning.

I dont understand what could of gone wrong and why I'm getting no boot-up screen.

Thanks in Advanced for any help.

2. punisher062204

punisher062204 Private E-2

Maybe the problem is with your PSU (power supply unit), try to check that out first. And do you hear any beep/s while you turned on your unit? There is a possibility that there are some loose connections.

3. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

Can you provide some more detail about your system please, Motherboard, PSU etc etc.

Agreed, try disconnecting all power to your motherboard and then reconnecting all the plugs again (especially your Motherboard CPU Fan), try plugging the 120mm Fan direct into the PSU and not to the motherboard and see if it works then.

Agree are you hearing a BIOS beep at all? Is there a green light on your motherboard (BIOS Battery indicator).

Can you test the PSU on another motherboard?

4. Rocket Man

Rocket Man Private E-2

I am running an ASUS M3A motherboard, a 800W PSU, Phenon X3 CPU, and a Thermaltake heatsink fan.

The motherboard lights up and my PSU fan spins along with the my other 120mm fan.

I don't hear any beeps, and my front LED light on my tower doesnt stay lit.

5. Rocket Man

Rocket Man Private E-2

P.S. I did test my PSU with my older motherboard and it worked fine. Old mother board was only a 20 pin and 4 pin, while new one is 24 pin and 4 pin (If that matters).

6. punisher062204

Is you have another Mboard and PSU try testing the non-functioning 120mm gan there to check if it is the one broken, if the new video card is also compatible with the other mboard, please check it out also.

If the LED in the chassis is not functioning, please check if you connected the pins correctly, those very small pins, also check if the pins for the sound are connected so that you could here the BIOS beeps. It would be much easier to solve if you could hear the beeps.

I'm attaching a picture of your mboard with some notes, it might help. :)

Attached Files:

7. Rocket Man

Rocket Man Private E-2

I tested the system a few times during assembly and i got to a point where everything was spinning and running fine. When i did my final connections with my PSU, Video Card, and Audio Card, that is when the problem arose.

I dont think there is a problem with my chas. because it initially lights up when it turns on, it just turns off after a second. I still have yet to get any sound out of it though.

I cannot test my video card on the other motherboard because it only has an AGP slot.

I am going to try disconnecting all the PSU ends and reconnecting them when I get a chance.

8. punisher062204

I encountered a problem once concerning the PSU. IT works perfectly when I place it on a certain position, I think it was vertical, then when I placed it upright (horizontally) it stops functioning. The PSU had a prob in that case.

Did you take not the position of the placement of your PSU when you tested it?
    The problem might be with the PSU.

9. Rocket Man

Rocket Man Private E-2

My problem is resolved. A friend of mine let me try his PSU on my Mobo to see if that was the problem and the mobo started smoking. From the looks of things the mobo was fried and it has been replaced. Same mobo is now working great. Thanks for all your help.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds