Bios won't boot to CD or Floppy!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ej1245, Jul 26, 2008.

1. ej1245

ej1245 Corporal

Hi! I'm working on a Gateway Solo 9550 that refuses to boot from either cd or floppy. I have the bios set to boot from cd first, then external source. I tried to flash the bios from a floppy and I get a remove device error, once I remove the floppy it boots to windows normally. How can I get around this? The cd drive and floppy work fine from within windows. Is there a way to flash the bios from a usb drive? Should I try uninstalling the cdrw drive? I wish to do a repair or reinstall but can't boot from cd.:confused

2. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Set it to boot from the floppy drive first. And make sure you have a bootable floppy disk.

E

3. ej1245

ej1245 Corporal

I tried that, it demands I remove the device when i reboot. what do you mean by bootable?

4. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Last edited: Jul 26, 2008
  5. ej1245

ej1245 Corporal

agh, yes I do! I have a failed vista install (it was installed from within XP) . Im trying to revert back to xp or repair from the vista cd, but thats not possible, and ofcourse I can't boot from any cd so this is not good. I went to the Gateway site and downloaded a bios update to install to the floppy, but that didn't work either! Even UBCD4Win cd didn't boot! Weird, the drives work fine once vista is loaded. I'll try creating another boot floppy, I wonder if theres a vista boot floppy someplace???? What command from the boot disk might work? fixmbr?

6. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds