Media Sharing Stopped Working in Vista

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by yamatosoul, Jul 26, 2008.

1. yamatosoul

yamatosoul Private E-2

I've been searching for a couple of days now without any solution, so, I sure hope someone here can help:

I have a wireless UPnP device (Archos 605 PMP)on my home network, and it stopped accessing media from my main PC's (Vista Home Premium 32 Bit) WMP all of a sudden. So, I checked Media Sharing in the Network and Sharing Center, and I found that it had been turned "Off". When I click "Change", it opens up the WMP Media Sharing window, but the UPnP device is set to share media, and the "Allow" button is greyed out. Clicking "Ok" at this point only closes the window, and takes me back to square one (Network and Sharing Center).

I Googled this issue, and found that many people had similar issues with XBox360 and PS3. However, there was no definite solution. I've tried just about everything mentioned in the web. Does anyone have a solution to this issue? Your help is greatly appreciated.

Windows Vista Home Premium 32Bit (SP1)
    AMD Athlon 64 Dual Core 3800+
    2MB RAM

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Have you added or changed any new hardware or software before this happened? if so what?

I have read and found the link again that resetting DRM ( Digital Rights Management ) helped fix this http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/arch...l-rights-management-drm-in-windows-vista.aspx as some with same issue as you fixed the loss of sharing by deleting the contents of the DRM folder ( DONT delete the DRM folder itself )

Also make sure the Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service ( WMPNetworkSvc ) is started.

3. yamatosoul

yamatosoul Private E-2

Yes, I ran into this "possible" solution earlier on as well. Unfortunately, it didn't work, but I appreciate your feedback anyway. Thank you.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds