Help Dell D9100 problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Nupraptor, Jul 28, 2008.

1. Nupraptor

Nupraptor Private E-2

Hi I have A Dell Dimension 9100. When I go to start it it immeditatly says
    "R480 VGA DVI TVO BIOS BR10204"
    I am not able to get it to boot from cd-rom or a hard drive. I also can not get into bios or cmos its not even starting up that far. I have already tested the power supply which is good. I have also tested all my usb ports which are good as well (is how my keyboard hooks up) but it doesnt even look like my key board or mouse are turning on. If anyone has any sugestions that would help me get past this it would be most appreciated. If i can get past this and actualy able to do something with it I can take it from there.

Thanks, Nupraptor

2. rogvalcox

rogvalcox MajorGeek

That info you posted is related to you video, so have you tried another video card by chance...if that is where the boot is freezing (which is very early on) then for some reason it isn't liking the vidio card.

3. Nupraptor

Nupraptor Private E-2

Yes I figured that out last night It does it no matter what video card I put in. It says something diffrent but still hangs up in the same spot and I cant get past it

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Have you tried F2 ?

If you go here, click on video, the 6th item down is an updated driver. Of course if the computer has a problem with the video and the items you see seem to indicate it does, the driver is useless at this point.

5. Nupraptor

Nupraptor Private E-2

Yeah I tryed pressing F2 didnt work. It wont let me do anything. I think the messege pops up before it even initilizes the keyboard.

6. Nupraptor

Nupraptor Private E-2

Nother tid bit of info. Even when i remove the bios clock battry it still does the same thing so its not even booting up far enuf to check the bios.

7. Nupraptor

Nupraptor Private E-2

I got it. It had something to do with the ram. I think I have a bad ram chip. Now my hd's wont register. When I use my dionostic disk it sees them and I can erase them. It aso says that they have no errors. But when I go to install windows or lunix both of them say that they cant find any hd's to install them on. I'm about ready to just throw this box away

8. rogvalcox

rogvalcox MajorGeek

Don't do that...somebody will get you to the bottom of it. ;)

In the meantime...let's try this...

Being that you are having this problem with ANY video card (assuming those are OK and compatible with the system), It could be the BIOS is screwed up, and/or the motherboard is bad. Are you familiar with flashing a bios? If so...and you're comfortable with it, then I would try that next. You need to get the EXACT make and model of this DELL and go to their website and see if they have posted a new BIOS update and see what the fixes are and flash it.

9. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Did you erase the disk? Windows won't see it until it is formatted. So slave it to another compuer, format the hd then stik it back in the original computer.

10. Nupraptor

Nupraptor Private E-2

Yeah I tryed to format the HDD's with a win98 hp disk but since its an hp disk it wont install 98 on my system. But my dionostics disk can see them and the windows 98 disk can see them but my redhat and my xp disk cannot. I cant stick them in another box and install windows on them because I dont have any other box's that have sata hookups. Even after formating the drives with the 98 disk winxp install disk still doesnt find them still. I think its got something to do with my bio's not being updated for sata. But its what the computer came with so I wouldnt see why not. I downloaded the bio's update and the sata updates from the dell site but I cant install them when I press F6 when the winxp disk is starting up. It only will let me load stuff from an A drive but I dont have a floppy drive.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds