Wire + Wireless Local Network can't find

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Master LL, Jul 28, 2008.

1. Master LL

Master LL Private E-2

The problem is this, the wired connections are able to see each other in the Local Network ( workgroup named as "WINWORKGROUP") but any computers that is on wireless can no see it (even though the workgroup is named also as "WINWORKGROUP").

Here is the complete structure of the network:

{Cable modem}
    |
    DLink Router <---> switch <--> cat5 wired computers upstairs
    |
    Linksys WRT54 Router (Cat5 cable on "Internet" port) <---> any wireless computers downstairs

My initial thoughts is the Linksyste WRT54 is creating its own DHCP so only the wireless will be in its own "world" (like having a double NAT) even though they are able to connect to the internet to browse.

If I disable the Linksys DHCP, no wireless computers will be assigned an IP hence connection is pretty much dead (I had to manually assign an IP/etc to access the Linksys again to return the DHCP back to "enabled".

Any suggestions on how to make it so wireless computers can see and be in the same workgroup as the wired?

2. Master LL

Master LL Private E-2

I can't find the edit button.

Another thing is the downstairs computer in question, if you click on "My Network Place", it doesn't have any options for "Network Tasks" or "Local Connection" or "View workgroup computers".

You can only add a new network, add new wireless network, view entire network.

If I choose "View entire network" it is like a "Microsoft Network" pretty much with nothing there (something I never seen for a long time... since I'm so used to seeing the Workgroup or able to "view workgroup computer").

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds