how to protect myself?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by h2k47, Jul 28, 2008.

1. h2k47

h2k47 Private E-2

hello all,

i work as a manager in an internet cafe and i dont have great knowledge in networking or LAN connections.I have 33 PC connected through LAN to two servers . Both servers give 2 mb speed for all the computers. I have two problems..

the first is: one of the customers was able to hack into the network from a client's PC and stop one of the servers, he was able to monitor and cut off any other client connection he wishes to disconnect. How can i protect myself from such attacks and hacks? and how can i detect those who try to hack into the LAN ?

the second question is: how can i control the amount of internet speed given to each PC? because some customers mainly download stuff from the internet which causes the internet speed for the rest of the PCs in the cafe to become very slow ?

i wish someone can help..thanks

2. WharfRat

WharfRat Guest

what OS's are running on the 33 PC's? Hopefully they are restricted user accounts on all of them which it sounds like they aren't. Do you have encryption on the network if it's wireless?

3. Still Learning

Still Learning Private First Class

They would probuly do that i am guessing by packet sniffing on your network and getting passwords and information then executing them by logging in.

Maybe get your own sniffer so you can see what they are seeing to help stay one step ahead of the hackers, can someone PLEASE help me with my question about the USB drive on the network? no one ever answers my questions

4. h2k47

h2k47 Private E-2

sry for the late reply.. thanks everyone for answering

WharfRat
    i think yes, they can access the PC fully just like an adminstrator ..even if this is possible, isnt there anyway to at least detect an intrusion?

Still Learning
    am a noob at hacker stuff..cant you give me a hint google on sni-effing?

5. PEBKAC

PEBKAC Private First Class

Sniffing traffic sounds good but, unfortunately, you need to know what you're looking at once you've captured the traffic. You also have to know the network details of where and how to sniff the traffic. There may be legal implications if you are sniffing the traffic of the customers using your wireless hot spot -- consult legal counsel. Wireshark is a great program for sniffing on a Windows platform but I wouldn't recommend traffic sniffing to someone who most likely doesn't even know what a packet is. You may want to consider looking for a reputable company that's local to you who could perform forensics and/or penetration testing for you to tell you where your weak spots are. Then have them make recommendations on hardening your servers and/or network. Bear in mind that packet sniffing is not going to help solve the mystery of how someone hacked you after the fact, unless they are still actively taking advantage of you. To catch a hacker "in the act", you are more likely going to need an IDS (Intrusion Detection System) or an IPS (Intrusion Prevention System). ...Just my two cents.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds