Lock-Up During P.O.S.T.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by J8son, Jul 29, 2008.

1. J8son

J8son Corporal

I have been having issues lately with my PC locking up during the P.O.S.T.

It happens at random times. At first I thought it was my power supply not pushing enough power. However, I have had the PC for over 3 years and never had this problem. I recently changed the power supply about two months ago but it was replaced by the same brand and same wattage.

The rest of my hardware checks out as I seem to have no issues with my RAM sticks (they are reading properly in Windows) and no real hardware issues to speak of. I recently changed my video card when it burnt out a few weeks back but the lock-ups were occurring before that as well so I believe I can rule that out.

Here is my current hardware setup:

Also I should note that this brand of Mother Board comes equipped with four diagnostic LEDs in the bottom left hand corner. When the PC locks up during the P.O.S.T. (just before the motherboard splash screen) three of the LEDs are illuminated which indicates it's freezing after the "CPU detected" step.

So, right now I'm just stuck flipping the main PSU power switch in the back of the case from OFF to ON to unlock the system when this happens. I'm sure this is not good for my equipment so I'd like to find a resolution if anyone might have some ideas.

Thanks!

2. J8son

J8son Corporal

*Bump (thread is over two weeks old so I'm giving it a little help). ;)

3. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

P.O.S.T = Power On Self Test. I think you do have a hardware problem if you fail to POST. Do you get any message on the screen? What does your manual say about the LED code?

Remove anything in your computer that you don't need to run Windows (opticle drives, sound card...) and see if you get the same issue. Also, you could have a bad stick of RAM. Try just booting with one stick, and if that does not work, try the other sticks by themselves as well.

I would also clear the CMOS on the mobo. (unplug the power, and move the CMOS jumper from pins 1 and 2 to pins 2 and 3) The jumper should be near the coin shapped battery.

Maybe someone else will have some better ideas for you. Good luck!

E

4. Stubby

Stubby R.I.P. (September 3, 1949 - January 26, 2011)

You mentioned that you replaced your PSU with the same model and wattage. What is the brand and wattage? The reason for the brand name is because if it is an El Cheapo, that could be a problem, but not nesscesarily THE problem.

5. J8son

J8son Corporal

Rosewill is the brand: http://www.rosewill.com/product/category.aspx?CategoryId=14

6. ralph3124

ralph3124 Private First Class

The rosewill (from the link) goes from 200 watt (much too small IMHO) to 950 watt. Do you have the small one, the big one or one of the in-between ones?
    With the configuration you gave in your first post, you should be using AT LEAST a 500 watt, preferably more. The RAM, 3 hard drives & video card produce a lot of heat, what do you have for fans to disperse the heat?
    Are the components HOT to the touch (be careful).

7. Stubby

Stubby R.I.P. (September 3, 1949 - January 26, 2011)

Well, Ralph3124 is going in the direction I was heading. Either overheating or just not enough power to run everything you have. And I agree, at least 500 or 550 watts for what you're running. As for being an El Cheapo, well I don't consider a Rosewill in that catagory, at all. They've come a long way in the last few years in terms of quality and longevity. Now, how many watts? And, as Ralph3124, pointed out, how's your cooling configured?

8. J8son

J8son Corporal

Granted I'm not an expert but I think I can rule out both those. The reason why is sometimes it will lock up when booting for the first time in the morning after being off all night, so no heat there.

And my power supply is around 600-650.

9. w4sfc

w4sfc Private E-2

I wouldn't be fast to rule out the new power supply. Recently I purchased a new case and power supply.. identical to one I already had.. just the case was showing some wear on it and wanted it to look better. When I did the build in the case it worked fine at first.. then started with serious post problems. I did everything you have been recommended here.. removed all components and replaced one at a time.. no luck. Finally I put the old power supply into the new case and it worked just fine. The fact is the new power supply seemed to work.. it powered up.. but something about caused a problem during post. If you have access to another power supply I would just check.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds