exteral HDD ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by richdio, Jul 31, 2008.

1. richdio

richdio Private First Class

sorry exterNal HDD.......................

Hi,
    Just a question about which one ? so many to choose apart from the size of the drive what diff does it make ie make/rrp turn off with comp or always on the list keeps going on, so any help advise.

thank
    rich.....................................

Last edited: Jul 31, 2008
  2. whoay35

whoay35 Private First Class

I had a Western Digital one that I really liked for about a year. Unfortunately it just broke and I'm not really sure why. I used it a ton and transported it without any real protection not to mention I used it frequently (as the My Documents folder was saved exclusively to the external). I'd recommend those. They are a bit expensive, but come in a range of SKUs for whatever your needs are and are generally very reliable.

3. sosaman

sosaman Sergeant Major

i have a western digital, and an iomega external h/d. i also, have an enclosure for a h/d as well. i would recommend only powering it up, only when you actually use it. i would not leave it on 24/7, or having it powered up when you boot up your comp. this is my own preference. however some people have lost data, and/or had their external h/d corrupted while doing malware scans, as they forgot the external h/d was connected. anyway, i'd at least go with a brand name (ie - western digital, maxtor, seagate, etc), i listed those in no particular order, and there are many more companies as well.

note - some (if not all) seagates come with a 5 year warranty, whereas others only have a 1 year warranty. g/l, sos

4. SWario

SWario Sergeant

Sort of depends on what you're using it for. If you want portability, go for a 2.5-inch external. It will be more expensive with more limited storage space, but they don't require external power sources (usually, one or two USB ports), and you can pretty much slip them into your pocket. If you don't care so much about portability, or you need more storage space, try to find a 3.5-inch solution that fits your space needs and your budget. If you need uber-storage, I suggest buying a hard drive enclosure and a hard drive individually instead of a pre-built product.

I've heard not to buy Western Digital unless you're buying a Raptor (or better), and similarly not to buy Seagate unless you're getting a Barracuda. Maxtor is owned by Western Digital, if I recall correctly, so that's not much different than buying a Western Digital drive. I hear success/failure stories from every company. Personally, I stick with Hitachi; they seem to have a better success-to-failure ratio than the other companies I researched when putting together my external (I bought a case and 3.5" hard drive separate).

I hope that this information is helpful to you. Good luck!

5. richdio

richdio Private First Class

Thanks to all, i opted for a LANCIE 320GB mostly due to cost. have now installed all ok. next time though get an of on switch, and as mentioned I will only connect when needed, so once again thanks all............
    rich... ( oh i forgot a bit noisey when left on and gets a bit hot !!!)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds