can't boot computer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tig1221, Aug 1, 2008.

1. tig1221

tig1221 Private E-2

I have a Dell Dimension XPS 600. It won't boot. It gets part of the way and a brief flash of a blue screen then it starts over again. My sister was able to stop it on the blue screen to read it. This is what it said: Disable or uninstall any anti-virus, disk defragmentation or back-up utilities. Check your hard drive configuration and check for any updated drivers. Run CHKDSK/F to check for hard drive corruption and then restart you computer.
    stop:0x00000024 (0x00190203, 0x8a6e4868, oxc0000102, 0x00000000)
    I can't even use the re-installation disk. Any suggestions?

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

What exactly does this mean? If you can boot to the windows install CD (I'm assuming this is XP, but the process should be similar for Vista), you can then enter the Recovery Console by pressing R at the appropriate moment (it will show you on screen). Then when you're successfully in the recovery console (it looks like a DOS environment) you'll run CHKDSK. The error message said to run "CHKDSK /F" but the /F switch is no longer a valid command on it's own, it has been merged into the /r switch so when you run CHKDSK with the /R switch, /F is implied. Anyway- the actual command is chkdsk C: /r followed by pressing ENTER with a space before and after the C:. Let it run; it can take some time, like over 6 or 8 hours depending on drive size, so patience is a must. If it appears to lock up, don't worry, it hasn't. If you see the percentage counter go backward, don't worry, it does that sometimes and it's normal. Just let it run and go have a pizza or watch a movie or something. When it's done, type exit to restart the PC. Be sure to remove the CD from the drive and let the PC boot as usual. Hopefully all is well!

Keep us posted!

[dlb]
    :major

3. tig1221

tig1221 Private E-2

I was referring to my OS reinstallation disk. I have Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 with Update Rollup 2. When I tried to re-start my computer with the OS reinstallation disk, it won't recognize there is a disk. It just goes to the same screen with options like safe mode, safe mode with networking , safe mode with command prompt,last known good configuration, and start windows normally. None of these work. It just keeps looping.

4. tig1221

tig1221 Private E-2

What do I do if I can't boot to the windows install cd?

5. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Do you have your computer setup to boot from the CD before booting from the hard drive? If you do, then see if the CD is scratched up. Try the CD in another computer and see if it can read the disk.

E

6. tig1221

tig1221 Private E-2

I set the computer to boot from the re-installation cd. It still wouldn't work. There are no scratches on the cd. I'm stumped.

7. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

Have you tried hitting the F12 key a couple of times when you see th Dell logo on powerup?

8. rustynikau

rustynikau Private E-2

what if my little net book has no disk drive?

also - once the f12 is pressed then what?

HEEELLLLLLPPPP!!!!!!!!!!

9. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

to rustynikau
    Welcome to Major Geeks.
    Would be advisable for you to start your own thread about this. What works for one machine may not be right for another.

10. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Good suggestion. When the Dell logo comes up, you can press F12 a few times and a boot device menu should come up. It will list the hard drive, CD/DVD drive, etc, as a 'one time' boot device. Make sure the install CD is in the CD/DVD drive and select 'boot from CD/DVD drive' in the menu, and it should start up. If it doesn't, there may be an issue with the CD drive itself.... when it starts to successfully read the CD, you should see "Press any key to boot from CD....." and you'd (obviously) press any key.
    ;)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds