File & Printer Sharing Gone!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Doom, Aug 1, 2008.

1. Doom

Doom Private E-2

I just got my internet upgraded from verizon DSL to verizon FIOS. Previously on DSL i had my computers set up to share files and a printer over the router i had installed, now that there is a new router installed i am no longer able to share files. When i go to my network places and click on the 'Shared Docs on Main Computer' folder i get this error: The network path was not found.

How can i re-configure it so i can share files again?

Thanks in advanced,

Jim

2. Doom

Doom Private E-2

Is there any online guide for setting up file and printer sharing?

3. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

In Win XP, go to the control panel of the computer that is hooked up to the printer. Click on Printers and Faxes. Right click on your printer and click on Sharing. Select share this printer, and name your printer.

Now go to your other computer(s) on your network and from Control panel, select Printers and Faxes, then on the left, click on add a printer. Run the wizard, and you should be able to select your printer (use the name you gave it in the paragraph above). That should get you going.

Seems I misread your post. Sorry. But I am assuming you need help with your printer, so I will leave my post.

E

Last edited: Aug 2, 2008
  4. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

5. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Also keep in mind, what ever Security Suite software that you use (Norton, McAfee) may not recognize the new router as "Safe" for the network, so is stopping the File/Printer sharing from being able to be used.

6. Doom

Doom Private E-2

Wow, i forgot all about that, until you mentioned it. I'm using norton and just set it up that it is connected to a safe network. It seems so obvious now because with the old router whenever it would start up norton would notify me that "I am connected to a trusted network"

Thanks for the help, amazing how stuborn Norton can be sometimes!!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds