Network connection problem: Intel Pro/100

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by aquaman8, Aug 2, 2008.

1. aquaman8

aquaman8 Private E-2

Hello All,

I have a Dell Dimension 4700 with an onboard NIC, Intel Pro/100. I am running XP sp2. All has been fine for the past 2 years, but now when I turn on the computer I get a "cable disconnect" message.

I tried various fixes, but to no avail. I did swap cables etc. but the problem remains. As a quick fix, I have resorted to plugging in a D-Link PCI card, and that works though it seems to operate more slowly than when the Pro/100 was being used.

Any ideas on how to 1) maximize the speed of the D-link card, and 2) determine if the Intel Pro/100 is inoperative due to some configuration setting (i.e. BIOS or other setting) or that it is a hardware problem (i.e. poor solder joint on one of the input pins or a chip problem)? Obviously a board level problem could be an easy fix or a 'not worth it to try fix'. I have pretty extensive board re-work experience, but that will just let me identify what I really should not try to fix!!

Any help/thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mitch

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds