REACTIONS, Please

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by taraware, Aug 3, 2008.

1. taraware

taraware Private E-2

I'm trolling for reactions to a 'puter tech's response to a dead mobo/healthy processor/healthy hard drive combo:

"Unless the replacement motherboard is identical to the original board, Windows has to be completely reloaded. A repair install off the Windows CD wont do it."

Since I cant gather all the talented bodies on this forum and get the reaction from their faces when the question is posed, this is my way of looking for a 'gut reaction.'

Please choose from one of the possible responses at the bottom. Feel free to comment if the spirit moves you - I value insight !!

thank you !!

Tara

possible responses:

1) bogus: the tech is lazy/lacking in skill/just wants to upsell the job
    2) valid
    3) valid to a point -it CAN be done *if*:

2. joelsz

joelsz First Sergeant

Your tech's advice is totally bogus.
    Putting the HDD into a new motherboard/cpu enviroment does require a repair install of the OS, not a clean (complete w/ wipe of HDD) install.
    I have done the procedure several times in upgrading systems.

3. ibbonkers

ibbonkers First Sergeant

well then I just took an 815 chipset board and a celeron out of a pc and put a 945 chipset and celeron into it . Had to repair install and bingo, all the files etc there. Always back up your files just in case, but generally new install isnt neccessary .

4. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

I have just swaped out mobo's to different brands and it worked without a repair install. That does not always work, a repair install should fix it. So tech is full of it.

But, I would recommend a full reinstallation of the OS and programs. Perhaps I am old school on that, but I usually format my 'puter every 6 months or so anyway. It is also a good time to get rid of programs you no longer use. The tech is probably covering his/her rear end for warranty work. Much less of a chance for an odd problem down the road with a full reinstall of the OS and programs.

I do a little computer repair on the side, and I take a different approach to a customers computer than my own. Simply because I don't want them coming back a week or so later with the same or a related problem. I will take shortcuts on my own stuff. That may be what your tech is doing.

Good luck!

E

5. taraware

taraware Private E-2

The insights are very much appreciated. It is reassuring to know that several of us weren't offbase in our thinking !

Thank you for the education !!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds