Overclocking p5n-e sli

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Goran.P, Aug 3, 2008.

1. Goran.P

Goran.P MajorGeek

Tonight,just for fun I OC my comp in AI Overclock for 20%.Everything is OK,but in everest I notice that my memory is now on DDr2-960.RAM is JETRAM from Transcend.Is this bad or good,and if it's bad how to OC without raising ram speed.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 3, 2008
  2. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

Well the EVEREST report doesn't show what your CPU (MHz) and Multi is currently at, need to see the OC part of the report. You RAM is trying to maintain a 1:1 ratio with your CPU and if it doesn't your OC will be bottlenecking and not give any net gain. Basically the ratio is "FSB MHz:RAM MHz" and by using the AI Auto OC feature everything is being cranked up by 20%, you can manually OC your system and change the ratios but you need to be careful. The ratios are how the system communicates and if you have a slower RAM than your CPU e.g 5:4, then your CPU is sending out data but has to wait for the RAM to catch up and thus gives no benefit because the CPU has to hold onto the data until the RAM is ready. So in the 5:4 ratio the CPU is trying to send 5 lots of data "per clock cycle" but the RAM is only processing 4 lots of data so the CPU has to wait, the creation of a bottleneck.

You can OC RAM if it is good quality but you need to know what you are doing and ideally have added cooling or you can shorten it's life.

IMHO use the AI OC for about 10% until you have a greater understanding of what is occurring and the potential outcomes.

3. Goran.P

Goran.P MajorGeek

It's 3.2 GHz(8*400).

"IMHO use the AI OC for about 10% until you have a greater understanding of what is occurring and the potential outcomes."

I found on net that I can set "FSB-Memory Clock Mode" to Unlink and modify fsb independetly from memory clock and now I set the memory back to ddr2-800 MHz and I raise FSB from 333MHz to 400 MHz. This is good ,right?

Since the begining of the thread everything is OK and working normal.

4. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

Well that is good as your RAM is DDR (Double data rate, meaning 2 bursts per cycle) and Intel FSB are "quad" pumped so four bursts per cycle. So basically you RAM should be about twice the FSB MHz to maintain a 1:1 ratio. You have it set well just keep an eye on your temps.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2008
  5. Goran.P

Goran.P MajorGeek

Thanks for the info.Temps are 43 idle-53 load(game),but my room is also hot.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds