I need some clarification

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Archimonday, Aug 3, 2008.

1. Archimonday

Archimonday Private E-2

Well for awhile now ive been dealing with the trials and tribulations of this Compaq Presario. The main thing I hate about it is that its bios is completely factory locked, so this means I can't overclock anything, not even the slightest bit. NOR can I change the amount of shared memory on my Onboard from 128 to its max 256, which really makes me upset.

But recently I did a driver scan, to test for updated drivers. For awhile I had wondered why in gods name it said ACPI MultiProcessor PC" when I thought I only had one, which would be a AMD Sempron 3500+ that runs just slightly under 2.0ghz. When I did the scan, a second processor showed up in the list. It was a Genuine Intel(R) 3.2ghz CPU, which Im guessing is sort of like a Pentium 4.

But now this sent me on a web-wide search for answers. If I have a faster CPU inside my computer, which I cant honestly confirm that I do, why cant I use it? Or is it being used? Because it certaintly doesnt seem like it. I mean if my PC was running with two Processors doing work, Id expect it to be somewhat faster than it is, especially during games.

so onto my questions here.

Is it possible to use the "mystery" processor, if thats what it truly is?

And does anybody know of a way I can unclock my BIOS so that I can change more settings?

2. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Use Everest to get a report of your system’s hardware, OS, and drivers. That will tell you exactly what you have in your PC.
    Everest: http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4181

I am not that good with hardware, but it is my understanding that HP's can't be overclocked.
    (Someone correct me, if I am wrong)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds