Upgrading?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Drunk3nP3ngu1n, Aug 3, 2008.

1. Drunk3nP3ngu1n

Drunk3nP3ngu1n Private E-2

I currently own an E8400 Dual Core processor and I was wondering if changing from an Intel setup to an AMD setup with the 9950 Black Edition Quad Core would get me a lot better performance in games. My gfx card is an overclocked Gigabyte 8800gt 512meg, 4gigs of G.Skill ram running in dual channel, an EP35 gigabyte board, and Windows x64 in my Intel computer currently. For the AMD Quad Core that I want to build should I go with the AMD 790x chip set or the NVidia 750a chip set.

So my question is, what will give me the best performance out of those all and which gives better performance between the two quad core chip sets.

Thanks in advance! :)

2. slopyjoemess

slopyjoemess Private E-2

well i can tell you don't go near a AMD quad core they are slow and are very useless for games ATM but a core2duo is a great one since its fast and on a smaller die size meaning less power and heat production

as for gaming with dual/quad cores
    games are only just adapting dual cores. meaning that quad cores may not be fully used by a game.

3. ibbonkers

ibbonkers First Sergeant

True quads aren't really fully utilized in games, but quads whether Intel or AMD are good chips. You may not notice much difference due to the E8400 being a good chip already. I would say use the 790 chipset with the AMD quads. They are NOT slow and useless they actually perform quite well as does Intels. If you wanna eak a few more fps out may I suggest looking at video first?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds