Transfering hardware From One Computer To Another

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by HumbleServant1611, Aug 4, 2008.

1. I want to "Gut" a computer and rebuild it in a newer Tower but I'm a average computer geek I don't know to much about building computers but I want to try I'm aware of the risk I'm taking, I'm willing to take that risk for a better performing computer. I'm having trouble finding a manual that will help all of my needs for specific instructions. I will give more information after I get the other computer which is in 15-20 minutes. Thanks in advance for helping me

Greg

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

If you have a tower full of parts and you're just moving the parts into a new tower, you're not really going to be increasing any performance unless you're adding/replacing some parts. As to the risk you're taking.... the main thing to be aware of is the motherboard standoffs. It is very important that you put them in the correct places. If a standoff ends up in the wrong place, it can short the motherboard and at the very least it will cause lots of frustration 'cuz you won't be able to see it (it'll be under the MB) and you'll go crazy trying to figure out why the PC isn't turning on or why it just goes "beep beep beep beep". The worst case scenario with a misplaced standoff is unrepairable damage caused by the short, and it wouldn't be covered by the warranty either. So, be careful and attentive when installing the standoffs. Other than that, if you just pay attention to what you're doing when you disassemble the old PC, reassembling it in a different tower should be no problem. Just remember to install the standoffs first, then install the rear I/O shield (the thin metal plate that covers the area of the MB where the mouse and keyboard plug in and where the USB ports are), it will snap into the designated cut-out in the new case. Do these two things BEFORE trying to install the motherboard....
    If you have more questions, you know where to find us ;)

[dlb]

3. OK I just got the computer with the hardware, since you said that the MB is the most vital put to reassemble I'm not going to mess with it and I recently found out that there is a motherboard in the new tower so I'm set on that account I figure that the MB is better than the one I have since my computer Is a Compaq Evo D300v and then new one is a Compaq Presario. Any ways it has already been gutted except for the MB but I believe that the processer is in tact with the MB Because the guy I got it from said that he didn't touch the MB so it is just an assumption. the only part I'm having trouble with is the wiring some of it has the name on it like "Drive 1 SYS BRD" but there are some that I have no idea on where they go so if you can tell me on how you or I can Identify them that would be helpful

Greg

4. I just hooked up the Hard-drive to the motherboard but then it started beeping every 2/sec I think it is the wrong wire for the hard drive. any help at this point would be greatly appreciated

Thanks!

Greg

5. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Do you have the make and model number of the motherboard? The beeping is probably not caused by the hard drive. It's probably the CPU, RAM, or video card. Those 3 things are the main cause of beeping. If you have on board video and a video card, remove the video card and plug the monitor into the on board video. If you have a memory stick of the same type that you know for sure is good, pull the others and put in the known good one. As to the CPU, somehow I don't think you'll have a spare just laying around. But you should remove the heat sink and clean the old thermal grease off and apply a fresh layer and re-attach the heat sink firmly. Unplug all the other cards and drives including the modem/LAN card/sound card/ floppy drive/CD drives/ hard drives, etc. The idea is to get it to power up and get a picture on the monitor using just the bare minimums. The bare minimums would be: the CPU with heatsink/fan, one known good RAM stick, on board video (or a known good video card if MB doesn't have built-in video), a known good PSU, a new CMOS battery, and a known good PS2 keyboard. And of course a monitor and power cord. If you cannot get a picture using just the minimums, let us know and we'll move on. But PLEASE post the make and model of the motherboard.

Good luck!

6. I haven't done what you have said yet but here is the Motherboard information:

*Manufacturer: Asus

*Motherboard Name: K8S-LA

*Compaq motherboard name: Salmon-GL6E

Thanks!

Greg

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds