Printing on Network: Vista and XP Fun

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by fattwinkie, Aug 4, 2008.

1. fattwinkie

fattwinkie Private E-2

Okay, I need to see if this can be done so here is what I need help with.

I own a home desktop with Windows XP Home Edition 32bit installed on it. This computer has a wireless router hooked up to it and a printer I would like to share on a network that uses USB to connect to the desktop.

Here comes the fun part:

I have a laptop that has Windows Vista Home Premium 32bit installed on it and this is the computer I wish to be able to print on the desktop printer.

Is there anyway a Windows XP desktop can share its printer with a laptop with Vista on it through a wireless network? If so, can someone please tell me how to make that work?

Oh, the Internet is a Secured WEP. And the router is a Linksys Wireless-N
    Just giving that information just in-case it was needed.

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

3. fattwinkie

fattwinkie Private E-2

I got a question about the printer its self

I have a HP 5610 All-In-One printer. I have checked the HP on my printer and it says nothing of it being network ready. Does a printer have to have network capabilities to be able to share to other computers?

4. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

"Network ready" refers to the printer either having a network adapter or being able to have one installed. This enables the printer to operate as a stand alone unit without being connected to a computer. Any computer on the network can use it if they have the correct drivers installed.
    Your printer has to be connected to your computer and can then be shared from your computer. This is a "local" printer and as such, your computer needs to be turned on before any other computers on your network can use it.
    Hope this helps.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds