PC purchase recommendations

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by toehead410, Aug 4, 2008.

1. toehead410

toehead410 Corporal

Ready to replace my desktop PC. Oh the choices I have. I love capitalism.

What do you think:
    • Core 2 Duo vs Athlon 64 X2
    • Vista Ultimate vs Home Premium
    • Integrated Audio and Video + aftermarket upgrades vs dedicated cards when buying the PC
    • Dell vs eMachines vs HP vs Gateway vs Lenova vs.....
    • What do I need to know about the motherboard and/or chipset when buying?
    • How do I know a PC will be easy to do my own upgrades vs a pain in the arse to install cards?
    • If I want to have a PC that is a worthy Media Center (not a power house, but sufficient for a little playing around), what do I consider?
    • OR, should I keep it simple, stop worrying, and just buy any of them because there's not a nickel's worth of difference and they are all easy to do audio and video upgrades?
    Other notes:
    My use is typical Joe Blo consumer except I might occaisionally take on some projects for family and friends that involve light video editing, transferring from video cassette to DVD, etc. I do not need monitor, speakers, keyboard and mouse. I am looking for recommendations on PCs that might be better than others for upgrading...what video cards (All-In-Wonder? 128meg RAM?) and sound cards (Soundblaster?) to consider.

Any and all thought are appreciated.

Jason

2. toehead410

toehead410 Corporal

I ordered this HP from Newegg. I'll be back soon to ask for advice for possible audio and video upgrades.

Jason

3. dnnyo

dnnyo Private First Class

I need the same answers that you want, only I can say I have been warned against E-machine as far as compatibility goes.
    HP is great!. I'm happy with Dell.

I learned a bit about Gigahertz while looking at some "overclocking" threads,
    When I go for my new computer,
    I won't worry about Gigahertz speed, because they say that 2 computers that come off the assembly line at the factory,,,
    One maybe is set faster than the next one, but they are the same inside mechanism!...
    but you pay more for the faster one.!
    That's where overclocking comes into play.
    For $100.00 cheaper you just reset it yourself. (click, click, click)
    I don't know any more about it, but it makes extreme logical sense to me.
    sorry, I don't even have the link to that page now, but search "overclocking" and read tutorials...
    Also get plenty of Ram.

ok, i found link to overclocking guide... post #1
    http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=52812

Last edited: Aug 5, 2008
  4. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

5. toehead410

toehead410 Corporal

Thanks dnnyo and Fred_G. That video card looks like it may be more video than I need. I won't be doing any gaming. My gaming days went out with the original Nintendo game console many years ago.
    I'll want a video card that is suited for connecting our old Hi8 camcorder to copy the tapes to DVD. Thats the most demanding video project I have in mind. I think I remember a friend telling me about a card he often uses that would suit me well, but I can barely remember what it was....maybe something like ATI ALL-IN-WONDER 9600.
    Anyway, the PC that I ordered should be plenty with Intel Core 2 Duo E4500(2.2GHz) and 2GB RAM. I'll wait and see once I get it. It is supposed to have some upgraded components, but I was unclear on those.
    This will also be my first experience with Vista. I hear horror stories and indifferent stories. Woohoo...can't wait. rolleyes

Thanks for the responses.
    Keep on geeking!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds