P5E3 premium onboard sound issues

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by johnnyscash, Aug 6, 2008.

1. johnnyscash

johnnyscash Private E-2

I have the P5E3 mobo with an audigy SB soundcard. I am having some big issues with audio interferance and horrid crackly noises coming out of my speakers whenever I empty my recycle bin. After much searching it seems that there may be some kind of conflict between the onboard sound and the Audigy SB. Apparently the best thing to do is to disable/uninstall drivers for onboard audio. Under hardware management there are the drivers for my Audigy SB, and also drivers for Legacy Audio (which I assume MUST be the onboard drivers. Only problem is that the option to uninstall/disable these drivers is greyed out! I've been Googling for hours to no avail. I would appreciate it so much if someone could explain to me how I might disable.uninstall these drivers.

Big thanks in advance to anyone reading this.

System specs:

Time of this report: 8/6/2008, 15:54:59
    Machine name: HOME-3E8DFB7921
    Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp.080413-2111)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: System manufacturer
    System Model: P5E3 Premium
    BIOS: BIOS Date: 04/03/08 16:42:17 Ver: 08.00.12
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q9450 @ 2.66GHz (4 CPUs)
    Memory: 2048MB RAM
    Page File: 218MB used, 7675MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
    DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.5512 32bit Unicode

2. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

If you have a sound card installed and your BIOS set properly, (on-board sound disabled), there shouldn't be a conflict with on-board drivers.

When you say Hardware Management, where specifically are you at?
    (Control Panel>Sounds and Audio Devices? Device Manager?)

If the Legacy drivers are showing in Device Manager, you can right click them, uninstall, and re-boot.
    That will sort them out, if they are the problem.
    If this is the spot you say is greyed out, have you tried scanning for Hardware changes?

Have you tried reinstalling the the newest SB drivers for your model, off of the Creative site?

Edit: Does your onboard sound driver show as well as the Legacy drivers in Device Manager?

3. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Uhhh, I just checked this out, to be certain. There is no option to uninstall those drivers on my XP system. (SP3)

4. johnnyscash

johnnyscash Private E-2

Thanks for getting back so quickly Musksnipe. I've been Googling like a mofo, and as u confirmed...there's no option to remove the drivers. Yes, my Audigy drivers show in hardware management...they also have the disable/uninstall option...whereas the Legacy ones do not! I'm right up s**t creek I think. Now don't get me wrong...my Audigy soundcard DOES function...but I have a few interferance problems, which my research tells me uninstalling the onboard sound drivers should remedy. Perhaps this can be done thru BIOS...if so I would sooo appreciate a walkthrough guide coz I am a complete noob when it comes to BIOS. Dunno what I might be able to do in return, but I can try to repay someone who's kind enough.
    Cheers!

5. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Yes, you will need to go into your BIOS to set it up for your sound card.
    Once on-board sound is disabled, Windows will not try to use that audio driver, just the SB one.

Depending on your BIOS type, your sound may be hard to find, but is most commonly in the Advanced Section or Integrated Peripherals.
    Restart your PC. As it starts, (before Windows loads) try pushing the F2 or Delete key to get into your BIOS.
    Change the Audio setting to Off or Disabled, Save changes and Exit.
    (The arrow keys will change the option, then Enter and press Esc to get the Save changes and Exit option)

6. johnnyscash

johnnyscash Private E-2

Hey, thanks again Musksnipe. I went into BIOS, and the only option that had anything to do with audio was:

'High Definition Audio'

This was already set to disabled anyway. I can't understand why it's not possible to uninstall these damned onboard drivers....someone told me ASUS boards were crap and I'm now starting to understand what they meant. Any further suggestions will be greatly appreciated, either from you Musksnipe or anyone else.

Thanks again mate :)

7. johnnyscash

johnnyscash Private E-2

I was just now Googling for another problem I am having with my soundcard and stumbled accross this old post of mine.
    Just to add to the database of knowledge here I would like to let everyone know that this terrible distorted sound I got when emptying recycle bin was due to a faulty hard disk. Problem now solved. :cool

8. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Wow; I never would have suspected that. Thanks for the solution.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds