AOL Dialer problem

Discussion in 'Software' started by cipher57, Aug 7, 2008.

1. cipher57

cipher57 Private E-2

I have a problem with the AOL Dialer.

XP Home. AOL 9.0a

I can connect to AOL using the AOL software just fine, however, if I try to use the dialer it gets as far as checking password and then the dialer consumes the CPU, usage shoots to 99% and it locks up.

This started the other day, and I have done no new tasks or downloaded any software recently.

Any help appreciated.

2. 12quidkidinnit

12quidkidinnit Private First Class

9a ? I can't remember what version I've got. 9 something. Is 9a the one for vista ?

I'm still on XP, and have always used AOL as an isp. But I gave up using their software. All I do is install the modem drivers, then manually create an internet connection.

Are you on broadband or dial up ?

You can still access your AOL emails this way, with no need for the software.

3. cipher57

cipher57 Private E-2

Thanks for the reply 12quidkidinnit,

It's 9.0 on XP Home, dial up.

The reasaon I use the AOL dialer is to avoid using the AOL exe. This way I can get to the net without IMs, etc.

Could you tell me more about loading the drivers and manually connecting?

Thanks...

4. 12quidkidinnit

12quidkidinnit Private First Class

I can't promise it'll work with dial up, but looking at the set up process, it looks like it should.

Control Panel
    Network Connections
    Create New Connection (is at top in left hand column)
    In the box that appears, click Next, until there's an option to 'Connect to the Internet'
    Next
    Select 'Set Up My Connection Manually'.
    Next
    Connect Using a Dial Up Modem
    Next
    Type your ISP name in the box provided. (I find that it doesn't matter what you type in here, it will just be the name of the shortcut icon)
    You'll need to type in the ISP phone number next
    In the next box, where you type in your user name and password, make sure it's your full username, uncluding the "@aol.com", or it won't let you connect.

For the drivers, I insert the AOL disc, then when it autoruns, cancell the installation. Open the disc, find the folder with the modem drivers. In there should be one called Setup. It's usually fairly straightforward from there, HOWEVER, if you're doing this for dial up, I guess it might depend on what modem you have. Is it in a PCI slot, and did it come with drivers, or does XP have some for it ? If they're already installed, you shouldn't have to do anything apart from manually setting up the internet connnection.

5. cipher57

cipher57 Private E-2

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds