Cross-Fire=/=SLI?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Blacktop Roland, Aug 8, 2008.

1. Blacktop Roland

Blacktop Roland Private First Class

I realize Crossfire and SLI are different ( I believe Crossfire has an additional way to distribute load across video cards), but I am in the market for a new mobo for my Phenom 9600 quad-core. I'd like it to have more than one PCIe x16 slot and support more than 8GB of RAM, with no onboard video. It's been hard to find. I finally stumbled across This, which looked pretty good. While I don't need 4 video cards, this is looking better than some of the other options I see. One thing: on this board, like many on NewEgg, it claims to only support "(dual, triple, quadruple) CROSSFIRE". If I use Nvidia cards and want to use SLI, will these boards not work at all? Can I use SLI in a board that only explicitly states it supports CrossFire? Or should I buy some ATI cards?

On a related note, can anyone recommend a good board with my criteria? thank you.

2. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

Sadly Crossfire is for ATI Cards and SLI is for nVidia cards, there was a myth about a "hacked driver" that would allow either Crossfire or SLI on the same board but I have yet to see it be proven. ATI has recently released some incredibly good performing and value cards with their 48xx series and have made nVidia lower there prices. That board looks okay but I doubt you would ever use 4 way Crossfire (would be better off with 2 x 4870x2 imho) and if you did you would have to have a very high end PSU and system temps would be crazy.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds