BSOD:: Dirver_irql_not_less_or_equal

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Pariah_x, Aug 8, 2008.

1. Pariah_x

Pariah_x Private E-2

Dirver_irql_not_less_or_equal

***STOP:0x0000000D1 (0x000000040x00, 000002, 0x00000000, 0xB9F0504B)

***nvata.sys-Address B9F0504B base at B9EF2000, Datestamp 444d72c9

Also get a bad S.M.A.R.T. error on IDE CChannel three- confusiing as i have two IDE controllers and no IDE devices are attached to the system at all ._.??

Mobo:: Asus M2n-sli
    HDD: 500GB WD SATA (not sure what model, exactly) (NEW)
    Athlon 64x2 3600+
    2GB RAM
    Installed RAM= 2GB
    O/S: Windows XP Pro

I've also had the system reboot randomly when using the optiocal driuves, cannot boot a linux live disk unless I use pfix=noram and acpi=off together, and seem to be unable to install grublader (the installer says it completes, but it's not there when i reboot). Mioght there be one root problem, or am I looking for multiple causes? I disconnected the optical drive, and still have the other problems

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

nvata.sys is related (obviously) to the ATA or IDE controller; basically your chipset software is messed up, but since you're also getting a SMART error, this tells me that your hard drive is crashing/has crashed and that may be the reason the nvata.sys is crashing. SMART errors only occur on hard drives, not on optical drives like CD/DVD drives. SMART = Self Monitoring Analysis & Reporting Technology. Essentially, it's a system built-into hard drives (and/or motherboards?) to try to predict and notify users of approaching imminent drive failure. It's been my experience that once you see the first SMART message, it's usually too late and the drive is gone. If you have another known healthy hard drive, hook it up, install Windows to it and see how that goes. If it goes OK without issues, then your IDE/ATA controller on the motherboard is probably OK. But if a new install on a known good hard drive errors out, then you probably have a bad drive controller on the MB. Occasionally, faulty data cables can cause ATA and SMART errors, so try swapping out the cable for a new one first. You might also want to visit the hard drive maker's web site to download their diagnostic tool. They're usually bootable, so you'd boot to the floppy or CD and run the advanced in-depth diagnostic and this will tell you for sure what's up with the hard drive.

Good luck! Keep us posted!

3. Pariah_x

Pariah_x Private E-2

you think a new HDD is bad? hm...

why would it say ide channel3, though, if it's SATA

I changed which SATA controller my hdd is attatched too with the same results. I also did a cmos clear and a reinstall. the proble m reappeared

4. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

It would say Ide, if you are not using a raid driver- I know that can be confusing, but some motherboards do that.
    Take dlb's advice, even new hard drives can crash , -I've seen several- the manufacturer normally replaces it free, under 2, or, 3 year manufacturers guarantee - not your supplier.- Test it, with the manufacturers software tool, or, by going to start, right click My Computer, click disc management, Right click on your hard drive, and click properties, then tick both boxes, and it will check , and repair, file, and hard drive.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds