AVG Installation Error

Discussion in 'Software' started by jourdo, Aug 9, 2008.

1. jourdo

jourdo Private E-2

I have been trying to upgrade all of my computers to AVG 8 (Free Edition), and for the most part I have had no problems doing it. However, I have one desktop that keeps getting an error when doing so. I tried uninstalling 7.5, leaving it installed, standing on my head, etc. and cannot get it to install on this one computer.

The error is as follows:

Local machine: installation failed
    Installation:
    Error: Action failed for registry key HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows: creating registry key....
    Error 0x80070005

Now, I don't know if this is important or not, but this is the same desktop I had a malware problem with a while ago and had the good people of this forum help me get rid of.

I tried emailing AVG to ask them about the problem, but because I have the free edition, they say I am not eligable for technical support.

Any ideas? Suggestions?

Thanks!

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

3. jourdo

jourdo Private E-2

No luck with the batch file. I still get the same error. Is it time to find an alternative?

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Here's someone with the same error.
    Unfortunately, the directions given did not help him
    http://freeforum.avg.com/read.php?13,138562,138562#msg-138562

But he said, "Ok. I manually navigated to that registry key, set it's permission to Full Control, and then the install worked. "
    He doesn't mention what registry key he changed. Do we assume that he went to HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows
    an changed from what to what?

5. sikvik

sikvik Corporal Karma

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds