more laptop questions

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Canzealander, Aug 9, 2008.

1. Canzealander

Canzealander Private E-2

I posted earlier, much earlier, so I thought I'd post a new thread because the other one is dead now; also, my circumstances have changed. Basically, I've come into some money now, and I've set aside about $1400 of it for fun. I am looking at buying a laptop, and I don't care about gaming that much (I know that a gaming laptop, unless I'm looking at spending thousands, is an oxymoron). I'm looking at buying either this one ACER EXTENSA EX4420-5817 or this one
    HP PAVILION DV2910CA. The stats are:

ACER EXTENSA EX4420-5817
    Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor TK-57 1.90GHz
    RAM: 3072MB (Expandable up to 4096MB)
    HDD: 160GB at 5400RPM
    Graphics: ATI Radeon™ Xpress 1250

and it'll cost me just under $500.

or

HP PAVILION DV2910CA
    Processor: Turion X2 TL-62 Dual-Core Mobile Processor 2.1GHz
    RAM: 3072MB (Expandable to 4096MB)
    HDD: 250GB at 5400RPM
    Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce Go 7150M

and it'll cost me just under $900

buying them from the store that I work at, because I get a discount. Out of these guys, which one should I buy? I know its down to me at the end, but any ideas? Any reasons why HP is more expensive (aside from the larger harddrive, and better(?) video card, and the fact that it has a built in n wireless adapter? In other words, is the Acer any good for its price? If I'm not playing games, is there any reason to get the better laptop? Will it run smoother? Oh, and I'm limited to Vista... I know I know, but it's all my store has (and I have no experience with it either way). Also, while I'm at it, what are the benefits for either corel x4 or microsoft office 2007? I know I'm not in the software forum, but hey, I thought that since its related.

2. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

Are you sure the Acer does not have Wireless LAN built in? That seems odd. Here's a model that may be slightly different which as Wireless LAN: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834115476R

Do both computers you posted come with the Home Premium version of Windows Vista?

What do you mean? I'm running Office 2007 on my Compaq Presario Notebook with Vista Home Premium, with just 1GB of RAM, and it runs fine.

If you can get that Acer for under $500, I think it would be my choice.

3. Canzealander

Canzealander Private E-2

I'm pretty sure it does have the wireless LAN built in, just didn't think to mention it. And as for Corel, I have no worries about either running; I can just get the Corel for free after the mail in rebate. The office, not so much.

4. Canzealander

Canzealander Private E-2

oh, and both do have vista premium.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds