XP Boot Up Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cybersurfer, Aug 11, 2008.

1. cybersurfer

cybersurfer Private E-2

Hey Guys-
    Something very wierd happened. When I came home ,my computer was off. I went to re-boot it, and i noticed it goes into standby after I see the windows xp boot screen. I tried to unplug the video cord and blow into it to see if it was dust and tried again and nothing. I even tried reversing the cable and still nothing. I can get into SAFEMODE fine and browse my computer, why is this happening? How can I get into my PC without going into SAFEMODE thanks

2. Tecumseh_AUS

Tecumseh_AUS Private E-2

Right click on your desktop and select Properties. Click on the Screen Saver tab and then Power Options and check your settings. Select the "Always On" Power Option (set Standby to Never) and see if that solves the problem.

3. Appzalien

Appzalien Staff Sergeant

Press F8 during startup to get to the safemode screen but this time select "last known good configuration" and see if that fixes it. If not try resetting your cmos by turning off the power (unplug the thing to be sure) and remove the motherboard battery and or short your reset cmos jumpers (typically they're close to the battery and are normally on pins 1 and 2, you move it to pins 2 and 3 for a few seconds and then back to where it was, you should see cmos reset near the jumpers on the board). This will reset your bios to defaults and may require you to go thru and reset some things so if your nervous about it, you might want to write down what the bios settings are before you clear them.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2008

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds