Need help removing invalid drives

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tift84, Aug 12, 2008.

1. tift84

tift84 Private E-2

Im not exactly sure when this all started, but I have a feeling that it started when i tried to connect an external hard drive, through USB, but later found out that the drive was trash.

Here is my problem, I have 2 drives in My Computer that are not drives at all, in fact they arent even apart of my computer. CD Drive (F:) & Removable Disk (G:).

I have tried to uninstall the drives, and after reboot they are still there.

Everytime I click on the drives, or try to open them, it tells me "Please insert a disk into drive F: or G:.

Thats my issue, what have ya got for me?

2. ralph3124

ralph3124 Private First Class

Go to START, CONTROL PANEL, SYSTEM, HARDWARE tab, DEVICE MANAGER button. Look for red/yellow (! or ?) and let us know which you have & where. Most likely, they can be deleted in device manager and will disappear after a boot.

3. tift84

tift84 Private E-2

There are no red/yellow (! or ?)

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Start, Run and type this in
    RunDll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL HotPlug.dll
    when you open it, do the two phantom drives appear?
    If so, select to remove them.

5. tift84

tift84 Private E-2

That's a negative, these "phantom drive's" are not connected to my computer, and not showing up in the "safely remove hardware" program.

6. tift84

tift84 Private E-2

still waiting on a response. The "phantom drives" are still showing up in my computer, both of them. How do I get them to go away?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds