Wireless PC to TV Reciever / Transmitter

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Litterbox, Aug 14, 2008.

1. Litterbox

Litterbox Private E-2

I'm looking for a wireless PC (Laptop, actually) to TV solution that can play videos, audio, and stream my desktop.

By stream my desktop, I mean I would like to be able to, in a sense, set my TV up to act as a secondary monitor running in clone view WITHOUT any wires coming off my laptop. This is almost entirely in hopes that I will be able to play games from my laptop, on my TV, without having to hook up audio video cables every time.

I've found all sorts of "Media Center" recievers that will accept audio video streams, but I've yet to find anything that can / boasts desktop streaming. This is likely because "desktop streaming" is jibberish, and I have no actual term for it. But, yeah.

Any help on this would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

2. chaimjm

chaimjm Staff Sergeant

3. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

With an RCA out you can use any 'wireless video transmitter' like http://www.x10.com/products/vk54a_sp_lr_ps69.html

I had a set provided by my DSL company many years ago when they were trying to launch streaming movies. They also sent along a Max view if the PC didn't have a video out. The whole setup was so I could watch the movies on my TV instead of a monitor.. exact mirror of the desktop..just what you want to do. FYI a PC screen on an old TV is very blurry, with LCD hopefully that has changed.
    Of coarse the idea was later dumped, just like their attempt to host video games - you could pay to 'download' a game to a virtual CD drive and play the game while connected but you still didn't own it.. went bye-bye too.

4. Litterbox

Litterbox Private E-2

Thank you very much.

I was JUST about to start jumping for joy over this D-Link DPG-1200 deal until I noticed the fine print saying "This product does not currently support DirectX applications." Which puts a kink in that.

Has anybody got another idea that does support DirectX? It sounds like this sort of thing might not be available at present, which is understandable. But if anybody has any ideas or suggestions, that's be great. Thanks!

5. foogoo

Like I said any of these devices will do that - GameEZ 2.4GHz Wireless Audio/Video Transmitter/Receiver. Doesn't matter if its DirectX because it is using the video out signal - there is no compatibility issue.
    But you need a video out or the max view device to convert rgb to composite and an 1/8" to 2 rca plugs from your sound card to the red / white rca plugs for audio... the whole deal can be done for under $50. if you have an video out already.

6. Litterbox

Litterbox Private E-2

Ah, okay. I see, sorry for the confusion.

One last question. I've got an old CRT TV. Somewhere in the 50" ballpark. The laptop I'm looking to purchase doesn't have an S-Video or Video-out slot like my PC does. Instead it uses HDMI, which is going to be useless to me for a while until I break down and go HD. If I purchase this laptop, will it be worthless in terms of TV connectivity with these sorts of devices?

Thanks again!

7. foogoo

Then you'll need the Max view connected to the RGB port on the laptop. Which is a little more expensive..
    http://www.aitech.com/

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds