New hardware-printer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by KingSteve, Aug 14, 2008.

1. KingSteve

KingSteve MajorGeek

I have a laptop that I use for work that I take home every night. At work i have a usb printer that is on the network, but only I use it. Every time i log in at work and attach the printer, my laptop sees it as new hardware and runs the new hardware wizard. it finds the printer and sets a copy in printers and faxes. the original copy of the printer then goes offline but is still kept as default- thus making it virtually unusable. i then have to go into printers and faxes and set the new copy as default to be able to print. is there a solution to this problem?

2. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

Do you plug the printer in the same port and then boot up? or just plug it in any port any time? I use a USB video 'card' and if I plug it in after boot it gets 'reloaded' as a new device.

3. dmwey

dmwey Private E-2

The reason the PC keeps reinstalling the driver is because of the USB cable you are plugging in while you said that the printer is on the Network.
    Basicaly you don't have to plug that USB cable to avoid the installation wizard from running.
    Also, make sure when you log into you work network to install the printr from the print server

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds