P5N-D Audio Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by trunksthebattler2000, Aug 15, 2008.

1. trunksthebattler2000

trunksthebattler2000 Private First Class

Ok so I built my brother a new computer this week.

Specs

ASUS P5N-D Mobo
    Intel E8500
    2GB Kingston HyperX PC6400
    eVGA nVidia GeForce 9800 GT
    600w Thermaltake Toughpower
    Apevia XSomething-or-otherII case
    His old HDD and optical drives from his previous computer.
    A dialup modem. (Yes we still have dialup. No we can't get anything faster.)
    Windows XP Pro SP3

So after getting it all put together and installing the OS I went to a friend's house who has a 7Mbit/s FiOS conn to download updates and whatnot.

The computer gave me three problems that I was unable to fix before the PSU decided to just die. (No burning smell or anything.)

Problem 1.

After I installed the audio driver the speakers would make a strange high pitch whining sound that I couldn't get rid of by switching the speakers or reinstalling the audio driver. You could play other sounds it just also made the whining sound at the same time. I haven't tried a different sound card yet because the PSU died before I had a chance to do so.

Problem 2.
    The processor kept overheating for as best as I could tell no reason what so ever when I tried to do anything taxing.

Problem 3.

The processor kept throttling itself to 2.0GHz (normal 3.13GHz) when it wasn't being taxed much and would throttle up when it was. I could not turn this option off in the BIOS at all.

While I was researching these problems (none of which I found an answer to) the computer shutoff. I assumed it had overheated again but when I went to turn it back on again nothing happened. So today I lugged the computer back to my house where my workshop resides and found that the PSU was dead and all the other pieces seem to be fine.

My question is could a PSU that was on the verge of going bad be the cause of the audio problem and the cooling issue? If not has anyone heard of a P5N-D making a strange sound via the speakers or an E8500 overheating on a stock heatsink? Also how to stop it from throttling?

We're going to RMA the PSU and get a better heatsink and fan. Any recommended heatsinks for an E8500 for a reasonable price?

Last edited: Aug 15, 2008
  2. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

3. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Oh yeah, whatever heatsink you get, get one that bolts onto a backplate on the motherboard. Those plastic pin things are junk in my opinion.

E

4. trunksthebattler2000

trunksthebattler2000 Private First Class

Yeah. I noticed that they were a pain in the butt to get hooked down. It could have been bad contact between the CPU and the heatsink that was causing the overheating.

5. The Extremist

The Extremist Private E-2

Sorry for necro-ing this this thread but it was the only useful link Google served up.

I'm experiencing the same issue on my rig with the same motherboard:
    • ASUS P5N-D
    • Intel E6850
    • 2GB Kingston HyperX PC6400 RAM (2xKHX6400D2LL/1GN matched DIMMs)
    • Antec TruePower 430
    • Gainward NVidia 8800GT 512MB
    • 2x320GB SATA2 HDD, 1x500GB SATA2 HDD, all Seagate
    • ASUS Lightscribe DVD Multi-writer

I'm relatively certain it isn't my PSU because I've tested it on another PC and it didn't seem to cause problems there.

I do notice that we likely use the same RAM, though... But I'm sure I'm just grasping at straws.

Anyway, did you get this issue resolved in the end (without buying a new sound card?)

6. Inane_Asylum

Inane_Asylum Private E-2

I had the same problem with the sound. I fixed it by going into the Realtek HD Audio properties (the blue one with tabs), going to the audio levels, clicking all the way to the end, and turning down the "PC Speaker" or "PC Audio" slider (can't remember exactly what it's called).

7. seandfeeney

seandfeeney Private E-2

I made a post about this issue when I had the same problem. I have some screeshots if it makes it easier. http://seandfeeney.com/asus-p5n-d-realtek-hd-audio-static-problem/

8. preacherfh

preacherfh Private E-2

I have the exact same problem, audio is hissing.

Another problem. I'm an old school quake 3 player and I've tried 2 different pcie video cards (nvidia 128mb 6600 gt and 512mb 9800 gt) and neither will produce 125fps. I mean this game is 11 years old ffs I can get 125fps on a p3 board........ yeah i tried like 4 drivers on each card too, just wasted more of my time..........................all updates, lowest video settings. NOTHING WORKS!.! oh and with anti viruse off... sigh.

this is the biggest load of shiz... when I got home with the board I realized the heatsink was missing for the smaller sli epu, no thermal grease, no heatsink, nothing... my guess it was overlooked in the assembly... and it WAS defiantly missing there is a picture of the mobo on the box. Luckily I had one that was the right size from another asus board that I lost in a lightning storm... but it doesn't matter now, I will be returning this pos and wasting more time anyway... gl hf pz!

9. preacherfh

preacherfh Private E-2

Oh and Inane_Asylum, seandfeeney it is PC BEEP at the very end, but my question is why??? It wasn't doing it when I left this morning or last night, so basically after the computer was on for 12 hours, then it started. :/

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds