22" monitor with 1680 x 1050 resolution peoblem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by geneman, Aug 15, 2008.

1. geneman

geneman Private First Class

Hi guys

today i got the hp w2207h (22in) monitor with 1680 x 1050 native resolution. but i cannt find the 1680 x 1050 resolution when i try to select it by right clicking on desktop, going to properties, then settings. even i cannt find it under advaced>adapter>list all modes. my adapter type is NVIDIA Geforce4 MX420.
    Now what do i do to get the 1680 x 1050 resolution.
    Kindly help !

I am using xp sp2.

2. Chris avz

Chris avz Private First Class

That graphics card is REALLY REALLY old, im not even sure that graphics card supports such a resolution??

3. Chris avz

4. geneman

thanks a lot for the very informative reply. i looked into the link you gave. i saw two possible remedies that were mentioned in those posts. post#3 says about "install the monitor driver". but the starter of that thread says he has no xp so he couldnt do it, but i have xp. so could you please help how to do that installation?

or do you guys it will be better for me to go for the RivaTuner (post6) option directly..?

i am new to these things so asking some stupid questions, please bear with me!

5. JJJIrish05

JJJIrish05 Sergeant

6. Chris avz

What he said^

7. geneman

ok guys..thanks, i will try those and let you know how it worked..

8. geneman

i downloaded and installed the driver, but still didnt see the 1680X1050 under the list of resolution of my adapter. then i downloaded RivaTuner as advised, but dont know how to use iit. the description in the other thread is not detailed, and hard for a novice like me.. please help in using Rivatuner..

9. geneman

hi guys

i didnt do anything with the Rivatuner but downloaded the latest driver for my NVIDIA Gefrorce4 from NVIDIA's website. after installing that i could find 1680X1050 under the list of resolution and did select it. it seems the monitor is using that resolution now. but when i played a blockbuster DVD today I could see empty black screen on top and bottom of the viewing area, the movie doesnt show in the whole screen although that movie is in widescreen format (1.78:1) and my monitor is widescreen capable. why its so?

10. prometheos

prometheos Staff Sergeant

Your DVD movie with widescreen format, will be full size on a screen that is 1920 x 1080 pixels. That's the ratio of 16:9 or 1.7777.... to 1. Your video screen is 1680 pixels wide, so either your video driver or your LCD display will force an interpolation based on your horizontal setting of 1680 pixels. When the 16:9 ratio is than applied, the vertical pixels required are 945. That leaves 135 lines unused. The LCD display will center this so that a black bar 68 lines wide will appear at the top and 67 lines at the bottom.

Incidentally, 1680 x 1050 is 1.6 to 1 (16:10) so, while it's 'widescreen' it's not the same Widescreen (16:9) as Television and the current video standards are adhering to. :)

11. geneman

ok now i get it..thanks. but all these resolution and aspect ratio things have become so messy and confusing for common users.. I thought I will get full screen videos with my new monitor but no i will have to bear that stupid black bar some more time till i get a new LCD TV i guess.. better were the old CRT monitors, simple and easy..these electronics companies have created so much hype and publicity about all these new electronics but never explain the things clearly to the public.. all are busy in looting the public, nothing else..

Last edited: Aug 17, 2008
  12. rjc862003

rjc862003 Corporal

right click on the destop Properties > settings you should see a Advanced Button click it
    goto the monitor tab and uncheck Hide modes this monitor can not display

13. geneman

by the way, i have one more question regarding the aspect ratio, like if i am watching a 16:9 widscreen movie is there a workaround by which i can make it to show in the full screen (without black stips) in my 16:10 monitor? like changing the monitor resolution for time being? please advice..

14. Appzalien

Appzalien Staff Sergeant

Some PC video players will have a setting when you right click on the video thats playing's screen "fit to screen" or similar. The thing is, if you increase the hieght to get rid of the black lines and keep the ratio, you end up loosing the edges of the video that go beyond the edge of the screen as you increase the hieght. On the otherhand if you change the ratio to fit the screen exactly the screen will stretch to accomedate the screen, causing your image to move towards tall a spindly (like squeezing the video instead of enlarging it at all edges.

15. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Bad idea! I did that once and ended up with a black screen on bootup and a moving rectangle that simply said "out of range".
    I didn't know how to fix it and since the computer was new, to me, I simply did a clean install.

16. rjc862003

rjc862003 Corporal

but his moniter supports it ( so I am told you used a mode your moniter did not :p and if it don't show up you can always his spacebar to restore the old mode as long as you do it with in 15 seconds :p

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds