Desperate. Can't access files on CD's & memory stick. Please help.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mad-Friend, Aug 18, 2008.

1. Mad-Friend

Mad-Friend Private E-2

Please help.
    I cannot access written WORD files stored on disc and memory stick from 1.1 USB port. No window will open for me to access the written files.
    My PC is Windows XP I have a CD RW which will play music, but only if I open Windows Media Player and prompt it to. My DVD-ROM works, plays films using InterVideo WinDVD.
    Please, please advise.
    Mad-Friend.

2. Petaluma

Petaluma First Sergeant

Try opening the "my computer" icon on your desktop.
    Does it show the memory stick there? It may be called something different here aka "mass storage stc.."

Afew shots in the dark

petaluma

3. Mad-Friend

Mad-Friend Private E-2

Hello Petaluma,
    thankyou for replying to me.
    It only shows up as removable Disk (H:) when connected to the USB port. It used to open automatically when plugged into the port.
    The CDs with files written on them alos used to open automatically, now I can't access either.
    On advice I looked for driver updates. PC said they were fine.
    I also uninstalled driver and rebooted PC. It didn't change anything.

In addition to this major problem I have lost all WebView panels in control panel, my documents, my computer etc. and I really need them restored but have no idea how to do this. Here is an example attachment. So, please please, you incredible experts, help me get my PC back on track. I am hopelessly going round in circles.
    Thankyou, Mad-Friend.

Attached Files:

4. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

This may be redundant, but have you opened My Computer, and double clicked on the removable drive H: and the CD drive? Have you tried the disc in both the CDRW drive and the DVD drive? With the disc in the drive, double clicking it should bring up the contents of the disc, then double click on the file you want opened. If double clicking the drives doesn't open them, what does happen when they're double clicked? And if those don't work, what happens when you double click drive C:?

5. Mad-Friend

Mad-Friend Private E-2

Hello dlb,
    thankyou for your prompt reply and advice.
    Double clicking on the H drive and G drive worked. It brought up the contents of the disc and memory stick. Double clicking again opened the files and gave me access in wordpad, though all files were originally written in WORD.

But doing it the way you advised does give me access.
    What do you advise next? Do I continue to access through H & G drive, or can I restore the way they used to open automatically?

Also (and I'm sorry to be greedy) but can I restore webView Panel please?

Last edited: Aug 18, 2008
  6. Mad-Friend

Mad-Friend Private E-2

my dearest dlb,
    please ignore last plea concerning restoring WebView Panel.

A miracle has taken place. I have restored it. :-D by clicking on tools, then folder options. In the general tab I clicked on show common tasks in folders.
    My 7 year old granddaughter told me everything would be alright, she was right. By the way she has more accumen on the PC than I, and learns faster.

There is just the way of directly accessing H & G drives (if possible please.)
    If it can't be done then I'd like to say a very BIG THANKYOU for your excellent help.
    Bless everyone on Majorgeeks.
    You are the unsung heroes.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds