so i need a new cd/dvd drive...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by modernage13, Aug 18, 2008.

1. modernage13

modernage13 Private E-2

Hello,

So I found out that my dvd/cd burner finally pooped out. I have a Dell XPS M140 and the burner in it is a Sony DVD+-RW DW-Q58A. I'm looking to buy a durable long lasting and possibly cheap replacement for this drive. Does anyone have any suggestions? I went to newegg to see what they had but wasn't sure if it fits my laptop..how can i tell if it does? and also how do i go about installing and taking out the old burner?

thanks!

2. Stubby

Stubby R.I.P. (September 3, 1949 - January 26, 2011)

Hi again!!;) Well, here is a link to numerous laptop DVD-RW drives for Dell, and other laptops.
    http://www.discountelectronics.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=31 There is one drive, further down the list that seems to be a direct replacement for your laptop. There are 7 pages of laptop DVD-RW drives at pretty reasonable prices. In the meantime, I'll try and find a link you can follow telling you how to install one.

3. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Read this article to find out how to remove the drive. When you get it out, there's probably an adapter on the back of it, and it's probably in some type of housing or caddy. DVD drive caddies can be as minimal as a couple of plastic strips, but they usually have some type of plastic screwed to 'em so they fit right. With the use of the rear adapter and all the plastic bits (and the corresponding tiny screws) you should be able to use just about any drive available. If possible, try to get an exact replacement (check EBay or Newegg). The make and model should be on the drive somewhere.

I hope this helps!

Last edited: Aug 18, 2008
  4. modernage13

modernage13 Private E-2

So I should get another drive just like the one that broke? But I want one that can last much longer and be more productive. Is there any brand I can be assured will be long lasting?

5. Stubby

Well my friend, there are NO assurances when it comes to anything...except death. How long something will last, especially when it comes to computers, involves so many variables that no one can predict the longitivity of any part. Actually, dlb gave you the best advice, get an exact replacement, if possible....and it IS possible. On that link I gave you you, about halfway down the page, IS one that was an exact replacement. There's a host of good brand names out there and I can give you my preferences, but that's no promise as to how long it would last. Dlb gave you good advice and my suggestion to you is take it.

6. modernage13

modernage13 Private E-2

ok cool thanks for all your help. I think I'll look for an exact replacement but on that site you linked, they're all used ones. Or I might just get another drive..

7. Stubby

Sorry about that!! I didn't realize that they were 'used' or 'rebuilt' units. I guess I should have read alittle further, huh? Again, I do appologize for that because, personally, I don't like to use 'rebuilt' parts and I don't recommend them. Oh well, another screw-up to add to my list:eek: Good luck, and let us know how you do!!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds