What motherboard will run an AMD Sempron 2800 processor?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ladyofevilness, Aug 19, 2008.

1. ladyofevilness

ladyofevilness Private E-2

My motherboard went out but the processor is still good its a AMD Sempron 2800+ 1.6GHz Socket 754 64-Bit Processor. Can anyone suggest a mother board that will run it as well as: 680W ATX power supply, 2 sticks of DDR400 PC3200 ram, Samsung SH-S182M/BEBN 18X Dual Layer DVD�RW Drive w/Lightscribe, and a Western Digital Caviar SE WD1600JS 160GB Serial ATA II 7200RPM Hard Drive w/8MB Buffer?

2. Appzalien

Appzalien Staff Sergeant

Code:
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3188572&CatId=1178
    The first board (PC Chips) comes with an extra processor but only has Sata I (150) and no ddr400 support.

The second board (Biostar) has Sata II and ddr400 support.

Both boards have PCI-e slots but also have onboard video. They're also both Micro ATX boards so they have a somewhat limited expansion capabilty and I never cared for PC Chips my self so if I had to I would go with the Biostar and cross my fingers.

Your going to have problems finding new boards for your extras. It might be better to try Ebay though so you can see if you can find an Asus, MSI or Gigabyte board thats a little more reliable than these.

3. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

I must agree: PC Chips is really low end gear. Yes, I have seen some PC Chips boards running Pentium3 CPUs still going strong 8 years later, but these are the exceptions. On the other hand, I think Biostar has really started getting their s*#% together in the past 2-3 years or so and now (IMO) they make really good boards. However, the socket 754 is pretty much obsolete, and it's from the time when Biostar was 'turning the corner' from just another Chinese board maker, to a quality company, and their products at this time can be hit and miss.

EDIT- very interesting.... there are NO s754 boards at Newegg, but they have two different s462 socket A boards in stock! :eek

Last edited: Aug 20, 2008
  4. Puppywunder58

Puppywunder58 Master Sergeant

5. ladyofevilness

ladyofevilness Private E-2

Thanks for all the help!

6. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds