Live and Learn

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by katcelata, Aug 19, 2008.

1. katcelata

katcelata Private First Class

Hi all- apropos my prior post: I bought what was advertised by the Ebay seller (very HIGH positive feedback) what was posted as a Seagate 60GB 2.0 portable (key word there) hard drive. I am not hard drive proficient (better now though!). What I got, I found after some taking apart and talking to the EXCELLENT tech support at Seagate, is a Momentus 7900 INTERNAL hard drive mounted in a cheapy external aluminum case. What fooled me at first was the little old green light was indicating power, well there was power, to the USB. After taking the drive out of the case, and verifying my ear's intuition with the great lady at Seagate Tech, there is no sound, no life, no power, in short, DOA. I wanted a quick easy fix because I was all gung ho to get moving with my cool Asus eee. Had I just waited till payday, for 30 dollars more, and tons less angst, I could have, and will, buy a REAL portable hard drive with 500GB and no problems. As I said in my prior post- marry in haste, repent at leisure. I wasted a lot of time on this tonight, I am disappointed, but I am VERY much better in knowledge in this particular tech aspect. Caveat Emptor. Hoo-RAH. kat

2. chaimjm

chaimjm Staff Sergeant

Good to see you learned something ;) You know what they say

"First time it's a mistake.2nd time it's stupidity"

"Mistakes are an essential part of self improvement"

I just hope the disk on key I bought on Ebay is the real thing it was 1/3 of the price I would pay for it over here.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds