PC Will Not Boot!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Nicomez, Aug 20, 2008.

1. Nicomez

Nicomez Private E-2

I bought myself a new samsung 500gb sata HDD and after installing it seems that my PC doesn't want to boot. i have checked all the connections, I even tried booting from the CD but nope nothing happens. It posts and i can get into the bios perfectly but after that there's just a black screen with a flashing underscore.

It will not boot from any device(CD, Flash drive, HDD).The temps where running fine and all fans are working perfectly. The motherboard is not giving any errors either.

Heres what actually happens
    1: Power up no problems POSTS
    2: I am able to enter the BIOS to change boot settings
    3: After the Motherboard logo it just send me straight to a black screen wit the blinking underscore. There appears to be no HDD activity, if the LED on my case can be beleived.

m2n – sli deluxe
    athlon X2 5200+
    8800gts 320mb Palit
    4gb ram
    2 250gig WD sata HDDs

also if i take out the RAM the motherboard does give an error like it should, so at least the errors are working :D

Any help would be awesome, thanks in advance.

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

:wave Welcome to Major Geeks! :major
    Have you tried it with only the 500gb hooked up to the first SATA port, and with the two 250gb drives totally unplugged? Be sure to unplug both the power and the data cables.... then boot to a CD that will allow you to partition and format the drive. Many BIOSes not only have the main boot order where you pick the first, second, third boot devices, but they usually have 'submenus' where you can decide which hard drive will boot first. Be sure the 'submenu' is set up to boot to the correct device. There's also probably a menu like this for the CD/DVD drives where you can determine which optical drive you want to boot first (if you have more than one). Also, keep in mind that the new drive is blank, and will not do much of anything until some data is written to it, but it must be partitioned and formatted before you can even do that.

3. Appzalien

Appzalien Staff Sergeant

Another thing, since this seems to be your first Sata drive in the system, and you were using only IDE drives I would assume that when you loaded your OS you didn't hit F6 to load the raid/sata drivers. Thats usually the case when you setup a new OS with no sata drives but if you want to add one later you have to install the Sata/Raid drivers. If you remove the sata drive and boot the old system do you have any yellow exlaimation marks in your Device Manager? Like for Sata/Raid? If so load the drivers that came with your motherboard or PC and then shut down and add the new drive.

4. FAM

FAM Private E-2

As a room mate of Nicomez I'll respond on his behalf (he fell asleep) I too have been trying to help him sort this out.

Thank you for your reply dlb. The problem however remains with only the new 500gb drive connected. Same thing with only the old drives connected. We even tried with NO drives connected in an attempt to boot by CD-Drive, we change priority CD-Drive to top, but still we don't get passed the steps posted above.

We've changes the cables around and tried all possible solutions (to our knowledge) there. Again inside BIOS everything looks fine, good voltage, normal temperatures. And what confuses me the most no error sound is heard.

Thanks again,

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds