Realtek ALC662 install corrupted windows XP

Discussion in 'Software' started by Pobs, Aug 20, 2008.

1. Pobs

Pobs Private E-2

Hi. Have a problem which I think relates to the onboard Realtek ALC662 sound.

Just installed a new MB, a ASUS M2A-MX. Windows XP sp2.

Everything was going well, all drivers loaded etc until I noticed that I had no sound. I got a couple of error messages saying the Realtek driver had failed to load and when i looked in control panel i could get no sound.

I tried an updated set of drivers from the ASUS website and thats when things went badlly wrong. The drivers loaded but made no difference to the sound, on the next reboot windows would not load, it stalled at the windows logo screen (blank screen, big logo, loading bar).

I can boot into safemode ok, and i've tried removing the realtek audio drivers and also I triewd uninstalling the kb888111 as I saw this mentioned on other posts.

Any ideas what I can do. At this point I just want windows back working properly, and then i would worry about the sound. Any suggestions? Ideally I dont want to reinstall windows yet.

2. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

These steps should unload the driver and get it to uninstall, then install fully.

Reboot into your BIOS and disable the onboard audio.
    Boot into Safe Mode and go to Add/Remove Programs and uninstall the Realtek audio drivers.
    Reboot back into safe mode. Go to Device Manager, in the menu (at top), select View/Show Hidden Devices and delete any of the Audio/Multimedia devices.
    Reboot back to safe mode. Make sure the devices aren't listed.
    Reboot again to BIOS and enable the onboard audio.
    Boot into Windows and cancel the Hardware Wizard.
    Install this driver: http://majorgeeks.com/Realtek_High_Definition_Audio_for_2KXP03_d4902.html
    I believe that contains the UAA but just in case: kb888111xpsp2.exe

Reboot when finished installing.

Everything should now work right?

You could also try :
    System Restore
    Load the last good configuration (instead of safe mode)
    Repair install Repair Install.txt
    Or just reload Windows, being it is a fresh install

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds