Grpahics Card Not Working

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Hellewell, Aug 21, 2008.

1. Hellewell

Hellewell Private E-2

I've just bought a new graphics card (ATI Radeon 9800 Pro) to replace my old card (NVIDIA ASUS 6200). But when I replaced the card, the display driver isn't working. I've downloaded the updated drivers (that i'm aware of) and used driver searchers (Driver Agent and Driver Detective), but it's just giving me all the NVIDIA stuff. I took all the NVIDIA stuff off the computer, and still got nothing. Tried Putting my old graphics card in and that doesn't work either. Now i'm on basic graphics. I've tried everything that I can think of, twice. Anyone have any suggestions?
    All ideas welcome.
    Thanks

2. Stubby

Stubby R.I.P. (September 3, 1949 - January 26, 2011)

Hi!! Welcome to MGs!! First off, when you installed the ATI drivers, were the nVidia drivers still on your machine? From what I gather from your post, they were. Make sure all the nVidia drivers are gone and uninstall the ATI drivers as well, using the add/remove program. You can also use this program to make sure that ALL the drivers are removed from your system, even the stubborn ones (link below). Reboot the machine, making sure that your ATI card is in the slot. Once rebooted, install ONLY the ATI drivers for your card and OS.
    http://www.guru3d.com/index.php?page=driversweeper

Hopefully, this will do the trick for you. If not, come on back...we're open 24 hours a day!!!:-D

3. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

Good call Stubby it is highly likely that you are experiencing "driver" conflict issues and may have some residual registry entries causing problems (especially with those drive search programs listing nVidia).

4. Hellewell

Hellewell Private E-2

I'll give it a go and reply when done.
    Cheers guys.

5. Hellewell

Hellewell Private E-2

Alright, I got rid of all NVIDIA and ATI stuff off my computer. Rebooted but it just came up with an installation, for NVIDIA. I have the ATI card in and still no joy. Im now on basic graphics. So basic that when I scroll down, the page lags.
    It's probably something really simple, but I just can't seem to find the problem.

6. Stubby

Okay, so it still wants to install nVidia drivers. Does your MB have on-board video? If so, is it a nVidia chip and is it disabled in your BIOS? Can you give me the make and model# of your motherboard? I'm playing a hunch here and I may be really off base. Since you uninstalled all the nVidia drivers and if your board has a nVidia graphics chip that isn't disabled in the BIOS then it may just ask for nVidia drivers on a reboot.

7. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

In your BIOS settings you will find something like:

Chipset>>>>Boot Graphic Adapter Priority (this is the setting you may need to look at mine is set for) [PCI express/PCI].

Basically this indicates the "boot order" for graphics devices which could include an IGP (integrated graphics processor) which may be an nVidia Chipset and asking for "drivers".

8. Hellewell

Hellewell Private E-2

It's an Emachines 610.
    Graphics details:
    3D AGP, NVIDIA nForce 2, GeForce 4Mx.

I know that my computer is probably older than Jesus but I've upgraded the graphics before and I don't see how upgrading again makes any difference.

9. Stubby

It does make a difference when your going from a nVidia card to an ATI card. nVidia drivers and ATI drivers do not play nice together. That's the reason for making sure ALL the nVidia drivers are gone.

10. Hellewell

Hellewell Private E-2

Ah. That might be the problem then.I'll disable the on-board graphics and see how it goes.
    I'll reply with the result.

11. Hellewell

Hellewell Private E-2

Ok, I went into BIOS but there is noting that resembles 'on-board graphics'. I know there should be but its not there. What do you suggest, keep trying to locate the problem or wipe my hard driveand start all over again?

12. Stubby

Okay, I just spent the last hour, or so, trying to find an Emachines 610 and and on the Emachines support site it goes from 600 to 633, and then the whole way up to 667. No listing for the 610. So I checked the specs on the 600 and the 633 and it does have on-board graphics which is listed as an "Intel Direct3D 2X AGP." However, the 9800 Pro you have is listed at 4X, or 8X AGP and I,m not sure if it is backward compatible to 2X AGP. It's very possible that your board is not even seeing your 9800 and therefore keeps asking for the nVidia drivers. Then again, maybe your board does support 4X or 8X AGP, but I can't access that info unless I know the board you have. Or, unless you can go into your BIOS and check if it is supportive of higher AGP.

BTW, I also found your Asus 6200 at their site and it also is 4X/8X AGP, but that nVidia card IS backwards compatable to 2X AGP.

13. Hellewell

Hellewell Private E-2

Ok. Thanks, I'll have a look and post back here soon.

14. Hellewell

Hellewell Private E-2

After a lot of problems with the computer, i'm thinking.......screw it, get a new motherboard. Could I please have suggestions for a new motherboard. Nothing fancy, just cheap, and good enough so i can put a ATI Radeon 9800pro (AGP) in it. It seems the best option because even if I manage to get it up and running, I predict it won't take long for it to screw up again.

Thanks for all your help and I'm calling on it again. I could start a new post but considering it concerns this post I thought I'd keep you informed.

Thanks to all for your help so far.

15. Stubby

Well, to be perfectly honest with you, I think you're making a wise choice in upgrading your MB. Okay, what CPU is in your present machine? If I'm not mistaken, it's an Intel Celeron. But I want to make sure. Also, what's it's speed? The reason I asked is because I just upgraded my son's P-4 with an older Biostar board (DDR) and this particular board also accepts Celeron, but I need to know the speed, like 600, or 1.5mhz, etc. Let me know when you find out!!

16. Hellewell

Hellewell Private E-2

Here's all the information I have found.

Emachines 610:
    2600+ AMD Athalon XP Processor

80gb Hard Drive

3D AGP, nVidia nForce 2, GeForce 4 Mx,

56k* Fax Modem. V. 92 ready PCI

512mb DDR

10/100Mbps Ethernet

That's all the info that came with the computer. Most of it you probably won't need to know so if there's anything else you don't need to wait for a response to find out.

17. Stubby

Yeah, that's all I need!! Anyhow, DDR boards are getting quite scarce these days, but here's one that would work with the hardware you already have. However, the only other upgrade I'd make is to add more RAM. Now-a-days, 512 won't run much, especially if you like gaming. Also, here's a link to some RAM that would work with that board, if you're interested http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813185074 Here's the RAM http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820141308

One more thing, what is the watts of your PSU? From the specs of your previous system, I'm betting it's not too high. I would recommend at least a 500 watt QUALITY PSU!! That may be alittle overkill, but remember you'll be running an ATI 9800 Pro and it's better to have too much than to have too little. If your interested, I can direct you to some high quality, reasonable priced units. I just bought an ANTEC 550 with modular cabling and 120mm fan for $60.00;)

18. Hellewell

Hellewell Private E-2

thats a big help, thanks. On laptop at the moment, will post the details later today.

19. Hellewell

Hellewell Private E-2

Ok, here's the two motherboards I have narrowed it down to:

Stubby's Suggestion:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813185074

Friend's Suggestion:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813185074

Stubby's looks more inviting because of the price, however, they only ship to the U.S. i'm in the UK.
    Basiclly, what i'm asking is, can I fit it into my computer, can I put an ATI Radeon 9800Pro into it and how can it get to me. If i can't get it shipped here, i'll go with my friends suggestion, unless you guys find any problems with it.

After this post, I think I will finally have this whole thing sorted, thanks for all your help.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2008
  20. Stubby

Well, my friend, the links you gave are both to the same board!! That being the case, yes I agree with your friend's choice also!!;) As for fitting into your case, do you have a mid-tower, or a micro-tower case? This a full size ATX board and am unsure if it would fit into a micro-tower. The machines I have built have always been mid-towers and I'm really unfamiliar with micro-cases and what size boards fit into them. So now, to solve this problem, I need some more info from you. I know, I know, I'm getting to be a real pain in the tail, but I just want to make sure of the dimensions so every will fit as it should. I need the INSIDE measurements of your present case and the same for your present motherboard. Like I said, I just want to make sure we do this right the first time!! As for getting this to you, since you live in the UK, well let's make sure this is going to work first then that problem can be easily solved. I'll explain that later!! Also, please send me the wattage of your current PSU. If it's 350w, or less than I'm afraid you won't have the power you need to run the 9800 Pro and the rest of your devices, DVD, RAM, HDD, CPU, MB, etc. Lack of power can lead to all sorts of unwelcome problems.

21. Hellewell

Hellewell Private E-2

Last edited: Aug 28, 2008
  22. Stubby

Okay, I looked at your friends board and it's not too shabby for an older DDR board. And it is a micro-ATX board. That could work to your advantage, and wallet!! Meaning simply, if your case will only support a micro-ATX board, then you could go with the one your friend suggested. However, if you have a mid-tower, more than likely, it would support either board!! BTW, how much does your friends board cost...in US dollars? The reason I ask is because I could get you the ATX board, which would cost you the price of the board, shipping to the UK and, highly recommended, insurance. It may be more financially prudent to consider your friend's option, regardless of the board your case will support. The only real difference between the 2 boards, that I can see, is that the ATX board has 2 more PCI slots and supports a higher RAM speed. (DDR 3200 as opposed to DDR 2700).

23. Hellewell

Hellewell Private E-2

The one my friend suggested is £35.83/$64
    The one you suggested is £15.76/$27.99

Yours is the cheaper option, and the motherboard I have at the moment is the eMachines MS6777. Don't know if it's a mid or micro. I'm clueless in that department.

Please look at the board I have now and see if the one my friend suggested will fit. As you said, it would be a lot more practical and would save you a lot of trouble for someone you've never even met

24. Stubby

Okay, I have found your present motherboard here, and it is a micro-ATX http://www.dealtime.com/xPF-MicroSt...-nForce2-FSB333-DDR400-8XAGP-INT-GRAPHICS-LAN Also, this board, the one you have now, is no longer for sale. So yes, the board your friend recommended should fit with no problem. As for being alot of trouble for me, well in all honesty, this wouldn't be the first time I've done this. I've sent one to France (not a MB), something to Germany and something to the little town of (Stafford) Stafforshire, UK. Also, I'm not sure if your familiar with this or not, but the UK charges an 'excise' tax of parcels coming into the country and, from what I've been told, it can be pretty steep. So, with the help of UPS, I did alittle calculating;
    1. Board $28.00
    2. Shipping 37.82 (based on 2 lb. package) (airmail)
    3. Insurance $11.00
    4. British Excise Tax ?????
    So you see, even without the excise tax, you have already exceeded the cost of your friends board. With the tax, you could possibly break the $100.00 mark and I honestly cannot see spending possibly over $100.00 for a $28.00 motherboard. One other way to look at it, what would happen if the board was defective? There would be NO way to RMA it:cry At least with your friends board, if it would be defective, you could return it, or exchange it:) I would strongly suggest that you go with your friends board.

25. Hellewell

Hellewell Private E-2

Ok, thanks for all you help. I think this is the end of the post!! I'll get that motherboard and I'll post the results here in probably a month. Thanks for all your help, especially Stubby, your a legend.

Thanks all!
    Hellewell

26. Stubby

No, my friend, I am not a legend! Rather I prefer to think of myself more along the lines of a God:-D Seriously, I am just trying to give back to the people of MGs what the people of MGs have given me these last few years. There are ALOT of very talented people here and I have learned alot from them and I can't begin to tell you how many time these same people have saved my butt when it comes to computers!! They have saved me many, many hours of frustration...and money too!! Granted, they won't make your car payment for you, but they can save you from alot of gray hairs when dealing with these infernal machines that we love so much:drool

Take care and remember, we're open 24 hours a day! And, yes, let us know how this swap out fairs.

27. Hellewell

Hellewell Private E-2

Will do mate, take care. :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds