Unrecognized keyboard, driver loads

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sanzan, Aug 21, 2008.

1. sanzan

sanzan Private E-2

HP Pavilion, Windows XP. Overnight, my keyboard stopped working. I keep going into the device manager (via mouse, which works) and uninstalling, then scanning for hardware changes. Software loads, but code 41 error (the driver is loaded, but the pc can't find the keyboard.) Tried updating via my links, since mouse works, but even installing new software drivers doesn't make keyboard work. I've tried on Ps/2 port and on USB. I've tried several keyboards, both wired and wireless. I've even flashed the BIOS.

I need to do my taxes! HELP ME, please, if you can!

I've done the microsoft and HP troubleshooters. :(

Is my motherboard dying? Everything else works perfectly! And I've checked every connection I know how to check.

Thanks for reading this tome. :)

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

What model of HP an what did HP recommend?

Look here
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\{4D36E96B-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
    in right pane double click on upperfilters (data->Kbdclass) and in the value data it should contain kbdclass only

Last edited: Aug 21, 2008
  3. sanzan

sanzan Private E-2

It's an HP Pavilion 735n, and HP recommended all the stuff I said in the previous quote. I'm wondering if there's a virus my ZA Security Suite missed. I'd try a non-destructive reinstall, but how can I do that without a keyboard?

4. sanzan

sanzan Private E-2

I know this sounds ignorant, but it's honest: I don't understand how to get to HKEY, etc., without a keyboard. Will you explain to me how to do that?

5. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

You can't. If several keyboards don't work, both USB and PS/2, the best you can do is hook the drive up as a slave to another computer and take off your files.

Have you contacted HP?

6. sanzan

sanzan Private E-2

Sighing long and hard now. Yes, I've contacted HP. No luck except for advice to do what I've already described. Hmm, I wonder if the onscreen accessibility keyboard could help me?

I'm downloading the files now. :( Then I'll do a total recovery. I'm typing now on the NEW Windows Vista PC I just bought. Figure I can play with the old XP Pavilion. Maybe I'll turn it into a learning tool, and get a tv tuner so I can learn more about how to use these pcs, and how to add drives, etc. Then I can try replacing parts, etc. I won't have to depend on it for my job, graduate work, etc. now that I have this new one.

Thanks so much for your help!

7. Layzie Bone

Layzie Bone Private E-2

only thing you can try without reinstalling OS, and really that's going to be the most logical choice, rather thumbing around in the registry...you can do a "repair" installation of windows. Two methods:chkdsk...Put your Windows installation disc in, boot to CD, and press R at the first screen.you'll have to choose your windows installation and any passwords you might have.once you get to the command line type chkdsk /r

this process you can expect to take about hour and half...

windows repair...

put your windows disc in, boot to cd, press enter at FIRST screen, and the following screen press R to Repair. This does not delete any of your programs or data, this does essentially the same thing as a clean install, but without formatting the drive.

This should fix any driver issues you're having, most of the time, if the chkdsk doesn't work...

If you dont see the option for a Repair installation, stop.

8. sanzan

sanzan Private E-2

Thanks. I'll try chkdsk first, then proceed as you recommended. I'll definitely let you know the outcome!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds