Which RAM should i buy????

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by djwatzy, Aug 21, 2008.

1. djwatzy

djwatzy Private E-2

Hi,i've bought a cheap (but ok) pc and want to upgrade the ram. Its an ACER Aspire T180 AMD athlon x2 dual core 4400+ with 2x 512Mb ram but not really enough. Do i need to buy in a pair and can i buy 1GB sticks or would i have to remove the original ram?? Answers recieved with thanks as always.

2. ajw81

ajw81 Private E-2

Last edited: Aug 21, 2008
  3. djwatzy

djwatzy Private E-2

seems to be a problem with your link ajw81

4. oma

oma MajorGeek

You can also try this link. Just click on the Scan My System button and you'll get to see what your computer needs/wants. http://www.crucial.com/# Of course you won't have to purchase it from them.

5. ajw81

ajw81 Private E-2

Can't get the link to work for some reason but here are the specifics for your system. Like I said in my first post though I would go with a matched pair.

DDR2 533/667/800 SDRAM expandable to 4GB

6. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

No, you don't need to buy in pairs but it is recommended, since that lets you use dual channel.

Yes, you can buy 1GB parts. Acer says you can put up to 4GB in this computer, so if you have four slots, the max size is 1GB per stick.

Newegg parts for your computer.

VERY IMPORTANT: Do not buy any performance/over-clock memory unless you are confident you know how to configure it. If you set them up wrong, they might not work right, or even at all. (Translation: unless you can set CL, tRP, and all the others including voltage in your BIOS, don't buy anything with fancy heat spreaders)

7. djwatzy

djwatzy Private E-2

ok cool. I know now which sort to get at least! thanks

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds