2 Video Cards (different brands) in one computer?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Twistid, Aug 21, 2008.

1. Twistid

Twistid Corporal

Hi, I would like to add an ATI card to my computer and at the same time keep the nVidia that is currently already installed. Is this possible? Are there any bad side effects to putting two different brand of video cards on the same computer?

2. ajw81

ajw81 Private E-2

Is the nvidia card one you installed or is it built into the motherboard?

3. Twistid

Twistid Corporal

it appears installed since my monitor is hooked up to a pci slot

4. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

I once installed an ATI TV card with a nVidia graphics(gfx) card and had nothing but problems and I suspect mixing their gfx cards would not be better. Dual output gfx cards are not significantly more expensive than their single output brothers, if you are considering a new purchase. If the ATI card is a gift, you can try, but don't forget to set a restore point at least before doing so.

5. Twistid

Twistid Corporal

Well is it possible to set hardware profiles for each card? My main purpose for wanting to put an ATI in is that the ATI is a capture card i would like to use and the nVidia isn't able to capture. What I was wondering is if maybe it would be ok if i had the ATI card disabled on my normal usage and then when i want to capture I just enable it on the other hardware profile and disable the nVidia.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds