sudden weird screen resolution

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by superfallingdowngirl, Aug 22, 2008.

1. superfallingdowngirl

superfallingdowngirl Private First Class

When I tuned on my computer this morning I noticed the screen resolution was weird. It's like you can see all the pixels in some areas, there are colours where there shouldn't be and there are lost of lines especially where there are shadows. It's kinda hard to describe.
    My monitor is a Green House flat screen and it's just under 3 years old. Is is just dying of old age?
    I'm running Windows XP Pro if that's relevant.

2. superfallingdowngirl

I tried updating and reinstalling the graphics driver and changing the screen resolution but no change.

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Do you have another monitor to try? If the other monitor shows the same weird screen resolution, it might be the video card is bad.

4. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

The video cable may have come partially unplugged from the PC. When this happens, colors can go all wonky so check it and be sure it is completely plugged in. Is the picture messed up from the moment you turn on the PC, like on the POST screen or logo screen? Do you have a video card and on board video on your motherboard? If so, remove the video card and plug in to the on board video. If you still get messed up colors, then the monitor has failed. If it's normal, the video card was bad.

5. superfallingdowngirl

dlb would you be able to walk me through that? I have never even opened up my computer so I have no idea what's inside.

6. superfallingdowngirl

It's getting worse by the way. It's started to go really flickery.

7. superfallingdowngirl

Ok, weird! It's suddenly gone back to normal. Any ideas what happened and/or how to avoid it happening again?

8. Appzalien

Appzalien Staff Sergeant

You do not have to open your computer to check the outside connections. Just go to the back of the pc where the monitor connects. Most monitor connectors have two screws on either side to tighten the connection and hold it in place. Just check the cord at both ends, usually at the monitor end if you have a CRT monitor (not an lcd) it has no connection it just goes inside the box. If you have an actual video card inside your computer you could try resetting it in its slot with the power unplugged from the wall, but if you have onboard video (built into the motherboard) there would be nothing to do inside anyway.

9. superfallingdowngirl

There was an earthquake here the other day and I have a feeling that's what fixed it. Just needed a good whack!

10. Appzalien

Appzalien Staff Sergeant

Good whacks, whether from an earthquake or your fist, do not fix things. They might temporarily work but the problem usually still exists.

You'll be back (use Arnold's voice here)

11. superfallingdowngirl

Well I figure something was loose and the quake shook it back into place. It wasn't any of the connections on the outside (that I could tell). I'm not going to open it up until something goes wrong again.

12. superfallingdowngirl

Ok Appzalien, you were right. I am back. The problem has come back but it's intermittent. I'm pretty sure the problem is with the screen itself because it seemed to still have the problem even after I disconnected it from the computer.
    So do I just need a new monitor?

13. Appzalien

Appzalien Staff Sergeant

I would say so, is it a CRT monitor (big and bulky) or an LCD (nice and thin). If its an LCD I would say let someone you know thats good with that stuff take a look at it, I can't tell you how many times I saved myself alot of time and money by cracking things open myself. I'm good at that kind of stuff though.

A CRT monitor is another story, they are dangerous inside because of high voltage and often cost nearly as much to repair as to buy new. And giving it to a friend even if he says he knows what he's doing, could result in you being remorseful and going to his funeral. If you don't know how to discharge the stored voltage from a CRT the charge can kill you.

Since you said movement fixed the problem I assume CRT since its common. It could be a loose connection inside, or a bad solder joint. The problem is, a service place doesn't make any money fixing loose connections or bad solder joints, they will always lie to you and say its something costly so they can make a buck. Unless you know someone in the buisness, your looking to buy a shiney new LCD for your dull old computer. I wouldn't buy another CRT unless your a glutton for punishment. They cost alot on your electric bill compaired to LCD, create more heat, take up alot of room and only last an average of 4-6 years.

14. superfallingdowngirl

Yeah it's an LCD so I might pull it apart and have a look. It's better at the moment though so I'll wait until it gets really bad. Any tips?

15. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

Well firstly I think we need to ascertain whether you have IGP or a Video Card and if so what type.

Could you please provide some more system specs, you can use EVEREST Free Edition 2.20 and generate a System Summary .txt report (please delete any personal info at the top before posting). This will allow us to assess what your Graphics are.

As you have already checked the connectors from the PC to the monitor it "seems" likely that you do have a Video Card (not IGP) and that it has partially worked lose. Here are some links and Videos on "moving" a Video Card (re-seat/upgrade/replace etc etc);

http://www.helpwithpcs.com/upgrading/install-video-card-agp.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BopjXneo8e4

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,2845,1735624,00.asp

http://www.daileyint.com/build/ibuild5.htm

http://www.expertvillage.com/video-series/1172_videocards.htm

There's some fodder but a system summary will help refine this significantly. It doesn't seem you are suffering "dead" pixels (these remain persistent, one i9ndication of a dying monitor) but either poor connection or possibly "overheating". There are only 2 screws you have to remove at the rear of the left hand side panel, which slides forward for most cases and then p[ull off. This will allow you a look inside your case.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2008
  16. Appzalien

Appzalien Staff Sergeant

I was sure you had a CRT monitor from your post. I should mention here that at one time I had a problem with my LCD and the connection to the PC could not be the problem because it was screwed tight at both ends. What happened to me was I just went to view my PC, it was running and the screen was black as if in sleep mode, but it would not wake up. The monitors led light was lit but it would not react even to a PC restart (which I did to check the video card inside). What it turned out to be was the power cord connected to the LCD monitor. To keep things flat in the back most LCD's cords connect upwards into the bottom back of the monitor, and somehow, thru vibration or me moving the unit around, the power cord had come out just enough to still light the led, but not to power the rest of the monitor. I doubt if thats your problem but I had to throw it out there now that I know its an LCD. Push that power cord fully in, although I have not seen what you described, it could be caused by unstable power from a poor connection. heck, you don't have to open anything to try.

17. superfallingdowngirl

Ok. It's definitely the monitor because it gets better for a little while when I turn it off and on again. It could be overheating because it seems to get worse the longer I leave it on. I'll try pulling it apart and wiggling things, see how I go.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds