2 Routers on the same network?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Grimmer, Aug 22, 2008.

1. Grimmer

Grimmer Corporal

I just bought a new linksys 610N wireless router. I want to use my old D-link 624 router to connect my xbox 360 and two other machines to the d-link in my basement. How do I do this, do I just use the ethernet cable comming off one of the ports on the linksys and hook it into the wan port on the d-link and then plug the machines I want into it?

2. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

That should work. You might need to reboot it all so it works.

E

3. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

Here's a guide for your situation.
    You need to leave the WAN port open and use a regular port with DHCP turned off on the Dlink.

4. Grimmer

Grimmer Corporal

Thx for the guide. Before I had a chance to read it I went ahead and tried to just plug the D-link into the Linksys from the wan port didn't work that way so i went ahead and did it port for port leaving the wan port open and it worked like a charm after configuring a few things, like turning off dhcp,the firewall and putting the router in a different subnet. Thx for the help gonna bookmark that site.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds