Hard drive not recognized

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ninjagaiden, Aug 22, 2008.

1. ninjagaiden

ninjagaiden Private E-2

Hi,

I don't know whether I have a hardware or software problem. My computer doesn't recognize my hard drive. My computer operates on Windows XP SP2. To get my machine to work for now, I am running a program called knopix off a CD. The CD is loaded with Linux\GNU and the computer runs directly off of the CD. Attached is a screenshot of the drives recognized by the computer. dev/cloop is the CD and dev/root is software loaded into RAM. The computer that I am having a problem is not mine, so the specs on my profile (I'm not sure if I have any listed) don't apply to this computer. The computer is a Desktop with a Pentium 4 processor.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

If the computer suddenly doesn't see the hard drive, the simple fix is try another cable - maybe the cable went bad. If that doesn't work, then I suspect the hd has died.

3. Bugballou

Bugballou MajorGeek

Re: Hard drive not recognizedwap out for another drive

No hda listed, Linux is not seeing it either. Check hard drives connections, jumpers, or swap out for another hard drive you believe works. In the past have checked a hard drive (HP laptop) through the machines BIOS, and it had failed. Linux sure can come in handy.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds