Internal card reader won't work

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ThrobbingBrain66, Aug 23, 2008.

1. ThrobbingBrain66

ThrobbingBrain66 Private E-2

I recently performed a fresh install of Windows XP. After installing the driver for my card reader from my laptop manufacturers site, my card reader worked just fine. While installing some Windows Updates, Microsoft informed me that they had an "updated" driver for my card reader so I installed that as well. Now my card reader doesn't work. In the device manager, my SD card is recognized under Disk Drives when inserted, but has a yellow exclamation point on the icon with the error message: This device cannot start. (Code 10)

I've tried to reinstall Toshiba's driver for XP, and even the updated driver for Vista and nothing seems to work. Microsoft's driver either keeps getting installed over top or Windows always just uses Microsoft's driver anyway.

Any advice on how to get this thing working again?

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Personally, I turn off MS "recommended" updates because I've had things not work after I updated. Roll back the driver. Then only look security and critical updates from the Windows/MS Update site.

Why if you are running XP would you think to install a Vista driver?

Another option, go back to a restore point when everything was working.

3. ThrobbingBrain66

ThrobbingBrain66 Private E-2

Because rolling back the driver didn't work and neither did reinstalling the XP driver. I was grasping at straws to try and get it to work.

4. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Thought about doing this again:

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds