Computer Problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by averageguy, Aug 23, 2008.

1. averageguy

averageguy Private E-2

I am running Xp Pro with Service Pack 3. I am having problems when I start up my computer. I have ran a virus checker and malware protection in the past 2 days and still am having the same problem. I will turn on my computer and load it up it will come into Xp and sometimes it will just hang giving me a Hourglass and I cant stop it. I have tried just loading the basics thru safe mode and it works sometimes other times i get the hourglass. I try Cntrl -Alt- Delete to get it to see what is hanging and it won't bring that up. When the computer does boot up . I try and log in to my Im and Web Browser and sometimes it will let me get in and online others times. It will just hang. I have reset my cable modem powered it down and let it stay off for a few minutes and same problem.

2. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Service pack 3 seems to give problems with Amd setups.
    If you can get into safe mode, try system restore to get back to before you installed service pack 3.
    Then restart in safe mode, if you want to re-install service pack 3, and re-install it from there. - I went direct and asked for a disc from microsoft to do my update, as I don't fancy being on-line without a virus scanner going for any period of time, and it seemed that it would take too long to download.
    Virus scanners can give you problems with some updates, especially Norton.- If it deletes a file, as it suspects a virus, you have a corrupted download- I did, the first time I tried downloading it as an iso, so I purchased the disc (around 7 pounds including postage)

3. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds